• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loose poop

Kits

Young Bun
POsting on behalf of my sister who has Eddie's brother. She's concerned that she is getting lots of soft poops left lying about the place, I am assuming these are cecals (sp?) as they are little clumps of poops stuck together, darker than his pellet poop & a little sticky.
He's on a diet of burgess excell & hay with some fresh food every day (varies - cabbage, carrot & parsley are the faves).
Any ideas what could be causing this, in all other ways he seems fine & healthy but she's not too impressed at keep having to clean them up.

Excess caecals occur if a Rabbit is fed too much concentrate feed (Pellets)

I would suggest cutting down the amount of pellets being fed to encourage more hay eating. I'd only feed a small amount of carrot once a week as the high sugar content can cause gut dysbiosis.
The other Veg can be fed daily.

Thanks, I have passed that on to her, she'll cut it out totally but Den's been having hardly any nuggets anyway, just a tiny bit in am apparently & she's said the loose poop stinks, I've not been round so can't comment but she said it is really strong.

I didn't know that about the carrot so I'll cut back, mine have it 3x a week at present.

Thanks, I have passed that on to her, she'll cut it out totally but Den's been having hardly any nuggets anyway, just a tiny bit in am apparently & she's said the loose poop stinks, I've not been round so can't comment but she said it is really strong.

I didn't know that about the carrot so I'll cut back, mine have it 3x a week at present.

I didn;t know about the carrots either and Jaki loves them she eats a full one often, not all the time but more often as she doesn;t like things like apples or bananas!! Glad I read this post now x

Thanks, glad to report back that my sister says there has been a 100% improvement with her bun:D Off to see them later :love:

Back