• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

swollen genitalia?

Stator

Warren Veteran
This is Wally's 'bits', I am not 'pinching' anything or making anything stick out, but they are much more pronounced than usual. It's almost as if he is swollen around that area. I took him to the vets and she didn't think there was anything wrong with him, but I check him every day and he never has bits 'sticking out' like this, he usually looks exactly the same as the girls. The vet popped his penis out and said everything seems normal.

Is it normal for things to suddenly show like this, or is he possibly just swollen around that area? I'm going to keep an eye on him, but he doesn't like me constantly checking him over :?

wally.jpg

wallyclose.jpg

He had his Myxi jab on 3rd march, so he is due in exactly 1 month from now. The vet did mention Myxi but couldn't see any symptoms of it and didn't really think there was anything swollen. It just seems odd to me that it looks different to normal.

He was quite quiet at lunch time, he didn't really eat his treats and didn't run around much, but that may be because he is sulky at me for taking him to the vet yesterday and because the weather is so awful today. Most of last nights dinner was gone this morning though, I don't think Lilly would have eated it all and I did see him nibble some grass at lunch :?

I'd def keep an eye on it as Jane mentioned it is a symptom of myxi. Are his ears swollen?

He could of course just of been harrassing his wife bun more than normal.

No, his ears seem normal.

He's never seemed that interested in trying to mount Lilly, but I think he knows it's not a good idea as she is the boss! :lol: He was neutered quite a while before he met Lilly.

Ok just a thought. All my buns are neutered but sometimes they go crazy, especially when spring fever hits! :lol:

We had a bunny come in with slightly swollen genitals, turned out they were just a bit sore because of the dirty conditions he had been living in, but this is highly unlikely to be the case in your bunny :D

Back