• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

age related dental problems in nethies

ecudc

Warren Veteran
Hello all,

I think that Rosie may be showing signs of needing a dental (she's had a very wet chin the last day that (although I can't say for sure) I don't think is caused by her taking a swim in her waterbowl. She's not looking snotty (although possibly her nose is a bit damp) but her eating is 100% fine. I'm obviously going to be taking her to the vets to rule out all possible causes but I wonder, she's about 2 years of age which if it is dental is a long time to go without needing one but it also seems to be quite a short time for age related dental issues. I know nethies often suffer from dental problems & does anyone have a similar experience?

Spurs can develop at any point without necessarily meaning that she will have dental problems for the rest of her life.

One of mine developed a spur at about 2, had it removed and hasn't had another one yet...she's now 3.5. It may be that Rosie finds just the slightest abnormality as an irritation. Another of mine has a lot of dental problems, yet never shows any clinical signs which can be really frustrating as it's hard to tell if he is suffering. He has his teeth done regularly to keep on top of things.

I hope Rosie gets sorted and doesn't need too much doing!

thanks so do I. I'm not 100% sure it is spurs but I'm pretty sure that it's not that she's taken up swimming in her water bowl, although I've noticed her drinking a bit more than normal (possibly pain related?). The vet is going to have a great time trying to check her teeth. Bunny burrito here we come.

My 1 year nethie boy 'Sooty' suffers with dental problems. He's on good diet of a few pellets, fresh veg/fruit and tonnes of hay every day yet still has the slightest of spurs. I know when he's got one cause he'll just stop eating, the vet will sedate him and rasp his teeth down but she always says (apart from the last time 2 weeks ago where he had quite a big spike) that theres not much of a spike, his teeth are just a bit bumpy and theres never an ulcer or bleeding, so he must just be a very sensitive bun :oops:
The vet says its probobly the shape of his face with his little fat cheeks and flat face, his teeth must sit much closer to his cheeks and irritate him :(

Back