• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does the pain never get better?

vicki267

Mama Doe
It was only last week I was saying to Liam how much I still miss Stitch - I lost him suddenly in December and it broke my heart. He followed me everywhere and thought I was his partner, I shouldn't admit having favourites but sometimes you just cant help having that special bond!

I knew I would never meet another bunny like him - I still stand by that, but I met Jet, and she quickly became my new favourite :oops:

Now I've lost her, it's not only hurting like hell thinking about her but it's also bringing it all back about Stitch and my Dad.

The pain really does never leave me, although I can think of and cherish the happy memories the more time goes by, I still cry and miss them.

I honestly seem to have a streak of bad luck - With everything and honestly dont know if I can bring myself to get another bunny, although Stevie is fine albeit a little confused right now, I also want him to have a new partner.

Hopefully he remains OK and I dont have to rush into anything, but I genuinely feeled drained with upset and fear that something else will go wrong.

How do others feel about their bridge buns after time? Sorry to bring it all up again but each time something goes wrong my feelings get stronger about not being able to keep getting bunnies and seeing the horrible things I've seen :(

I'm so sorry you are having such an awful time :cry::cry:

It does get easier over time, although I know that's a cliche. When I lost my bridge bun Charlie I was literally devastated. I have never experienced that sort of grief, which is really odd because I've lost my dad and others close to me, but for some reason I reacted worse when it came to Charlie. I didn't eat or sleep for two weeks, couldn't mention her name for about 6 months and all in all in took me about two years before I can remember her without getting upset.

When I lost thumper last October I dealt with it completely differently. I missed him and was upset, but I knew he was suffering and that his time had come. I have so many rabbits here that I wouldn't be able to let myself get so depressed when one goes because the others rely on me. I have to say though, out of all of them I have one special rabbit and if anything happened to her it would tear me apart.

I hope you will be able to start smiling again soon xx

It hurts because its the shock of loosing something/someone who you were not expecting to loose so soon. I think it's easier to cope with if you half expect it. This is what I find anyway, when my dog was 17 and PTS, of course I was gutted and upset but not as much as I would have been if he dropped dead say at the age of 5. Its a horrible feeling I know, I wouldnt wish it on anyone :cry:

I dont think its possible to 'get over' the loss of a very special Bunny.
For me I just have to cope as best I can on a day to day basis. Its like living with the pain rather than it 'getting better'.

Sorry I cant give any magical formula to help. If I knew how to 'move on' from losing Jack I would have done it.
But I dont and I cant :cry:

((((((((((((((((((((( Hugs ))))))))))))))))))))

I find that on a day-to-day basis the pain is less as you think about other things but as you've found when you get an acute reminder (losing Jet) it not only gives you new pain but reminds you how hard it was losing a previous much-loved bunny, in a way doubling the pain.

I find that when I read on here of anyone losing a special bunny it takes me back to all the feelings I had during the hours it was pretty obvious Scrat was dying and I got the phone call to tell me she's gone. I have huge feelings of guilt over her death because I really didn't know how to care for bunnies properly (even though I thought I did at the time). I think half the battle with bereavement is being able to rid yourself of guilt and be dealing only with the loss, then perhaps it's easier to drift to happy memories and smile at the memories.

I also understand how deflating it would be when you loose special bunnies in quick succession suddenly, it's so hard to believe it won't happen again. I've lost 3 bunnies in a 14 month period but only one I had a special close bond with, that was hard enough, there's no wonder you've taken it so hard. I really hope the PM results will help you come to terms with this and help you move on. I've got to say now though every time a bunny stops eating it's much harder for me having lost the others - I can never treat it is routine and convince myself it will be alright, it does make it much harder to be carefree around bunnies, but as time goes on I'm getting to recognise more if it's likely to be serious or not, experience, I guess - something you can only get by braving taking on another little needy soul :love:

it never goes away but in time the sad feelings are less and hte happy feelings remembering them push through more. you know we lost sooty recently and we are all devastated... we have lost lucky, starskey and chocolate also in the past i wont forget them but thinking of them isstill sad. xxx thinking of you all xx

I don't know hun :( I am still heartbroken about losing my beautiful Poppy last year and since then I've lost three other special buns.

The only thing that helps is to remember that they're still with me in spirit, but it's just not the same and not an hour goes by without me thinking of all four of them.:cry:

Back