• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding bunnies

wind1

New Kit
Hi, I have joined here to ask some advice on bonding my 2 rabbits. On Saturday I took on a 1 year old male neutered rabbit Comet to live with my 5 year old neutered (spayed?) female rabbit Pebbles. I set up a run in the garden on neutral territory and all went very well. There was a little bit of chasing but by the end of the day and the next morning they were grooming each other and cuddling up together. I had cleaned out Pebbles shed and put new trays, hutch etc in there and as things were going so well I put both rabbits in there on Sunday afternoon. They seemed fine together still cuddling up but then yesterday morning there was a lot of fur in the shed. Comet was using the top of the hutch as a toilet so I put a litter tray up there but now Pebbles has claimed this as a bed and has been up there since yesterday morning. She wouldn't even come down for her tea last night. I thought she was being territorial and grumpy but this morning I went out to feed them and clean up and she came down from the top of the hutch to eat which was ok, they ate together but then Comet went for her. They had a fight which I split up with a dustpan and brush. She is now back on top of the hutch looking really unhappy. It seems he is the one causing trouble. What should I do next? I have heard people say to put them in the car and go for a drive. Is it worth trying this or do I just need to give them a bit more time? Thanks, sorry it's so long!

When I bonding rabbits they always start to get on in the neutral area first but that doesn't mean they will live together straight away. keep them together in the neutral area for a few more days then try again. All the signs are good as far as the grooming and stuff goes so you should be ok.:)

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean take them out of the shed and put them into the neutral area I first used (run in the garden)? Do I leave them in the run overnight or seperate them? I left them in the run Saturday night as it was inside a tent but the tent has now been taken down so I can't just leave them outside. I could put the same run in the garage which is neutral. Why do you think Comet is trying to claim the shed as his own? I could understand it if he had lived there first but I would have expected Pebbles to be possessive over the shed as she has lived there before. Sorry for so many questions but I just really want this to work out.

It's hard to say as bonding is not an exact science. If you put them in a run about 6x4 in neutral territory they will have to learn to be toghether in a confined space. if they get on well in the day try them in the shed at night but watch them. If fighs occure seperate them overnight then repeat the process the next day. In my experience once they start eating and grooming toghether in the neutral area it doesn't take long before they will live togher. be pateint though as the shortest bond I've done was 24hours (for my sister, luky git) but the longest was 5 weeks (for myself, very stressful!) good luck, post how you get on:)

I have now put the run in the garage and put both buns in. They ate some carrot peelings together but then Comet lunged at Pebbles and a fight started again. Comet does not seem at all bothered by these fights but Pebbles is left very shaken and sorry for herself huddled in a corner. I stayed with them for a while but as soon as I left he lunged at her again so I have now put in a mesh divider between them. I'm really not sure what to do next. I feel so sorry for Pebbles as she looks so unhappy and frightened of Comet. I am waiting for a phone call from a lady who bonds rabbits for a local rescue centre. I'm hoping she may be able to give me some advice but any advice on here is very much appreciated as well thankyou.

I have now put the run in the garage and put both buns in. They ate some carrot peelings together but then Comet lunged at Pebbles and a fight started again. Comet does not seem at all bothered by these fights but Pebbles is left very shaken and sorry for herself huddled in a corner. I stayed with them for a while but as soon as I left he lunged at her again so I have now put in a mesh divider between them. I'm really not sure what to do next. I feel so sorry for Pebbles as she looks so unhappy and frightened of Comet. I am waiting for a phone call from a lady who bonds rabbits for a local rescue centre. I'm hoping she may be able to give me some advice but any advice on here is very much appreciated as well thankyou.

you can't leave them alone when your bonding. tell comet off straight away when he lunges. I shout no in a comanding voice and seperate them, sometimes i stamp my foot at the same time. by doing this comet will learn you are in charge. once seperated I give them all some fuss so they don't hate me then let them get on with learning to live together. some people use water guns to seperate fighting rabbits. It can get to the point when you think it will never work but I haven't had a failed bond yet. Hope this helps.

Sorry more questions! As they are now seperated in the run do I just remove the divider for bonding sessions or does it need to be on neutral territory again? The problem is I don't have hutches for them to go back into as Pebbles has always just lived free range in her shed. I want to keep this neutral for when they go back in there. I was hoping to leave them in the run in the garage until they are bonded then move them into the shed. Also how many and for how long should the bonding sessions be?

Sorry more questions! As they are now seperated in the run do I just remove the divider for bonding sessions or does it need to be on neutral territory again? The problem is I don't have hutches for them to go back into as Pebbles has always just lived free range in her shed. I want to keep this neutral for when they go back in there. I was hoping to leave them in the run in the garage until they are bonded then move them into the shed. Also how many and for how long should the bonding sessions be?

yes you need to remove the divider so they can interact just make sure they don't fight. allow mounting and some chasing but if either get too much seperate them or it could lead to a fight. never leave bonding rabbits alone. you will need to have them together every day but it's up to you how long for. I try for 6-8 hours. if fights do occur check them for bite marks, if left uncleaned they can turn to abscesses. the area you bond them in should be seperate from where they live, i.e if one lives in the shed and the other in the garage fence off a bit of the garden and use that to bond or just any space neither has a claim to. are they spayed/ neuterd? it always helps if they are.

Thankyou for your reply. Pebbles does have a couple of bites (I think they're bites or possibly scratches). I have cleaned them with salted boiled water. Is there anything else I need to clean them with or put on them? I will use a run in the garden for bonding sessions from now on and keep them in the seperated run in the garage the rest of the time. I'm guessing it is best to put them together every day but with it being school hols and lots of outings arranged this is going to prove quite difficult. I'm feeling pretty despondant about the whole thing at the moment. I hate to see Pebbles so unhappy when she had such a nice quiet life before. I know it's very early days but I feel really mean putting her through this.

Thankyou for your reply. Pebbles does have a couple of bites (I think they're bites or possibly scratches). I have cleaned them with salted boiled water. Is there anything else I need to clean them with or put on them? I will use a run in the garden for bonding sessions from now on and keep them in the seperated run in the garage the rest of the time. I'm guessing it is best to put them together every day but with it being school hols and lots of outings arranged this is going to prove quite difficult. I'm feeling pretty despondant about the whole thing at the moment. I hate to see Pebbles so unhappy when she had such a nice quiet life before. I know it's very early days but I feel really mean putting her through this.

salt water is the right thing to use. I know it can be demoralising at first, it can take up allot of time and you don't like to see them stressed. if Pebbles gets too stressed pick her up and fuss her untill she calms down. I've got 2 more to add to my 4 but I'm waiting untill my daughter goes back to school. My last bond took five weeks 6-8 hours every day ( I did have help). I added a male to a trio of 1 male and 2 females. The dominant male didn't like it one bit, if I'd left them to it they would have killed each other but they all came round eventually and now they are all happier for it. There is a link to a video under my signiture, have a look and you'll see what I mean. you'll get there in the end.:)

Thankyou your set up looks great. Lucky rabbits! I have been advised to put the buns in a carrier and take them out in the car. I have another run in the garden so I will use that for bonding sessions. I am out most of today so I will try later if I have time or I might wait until tomorrow afternoon when I have more time. I can then be here Fri, Sat and Sun.

I'd wait until Thursday night and go back to square one again.Keep them in the small neutral area for longer-4 days isnt really long enough, do not separate but keep them together 24/7,separating only if real fighting occurs.Best of luck:)

I can't leave them together 24/7 when he is attacking her. She has bites on her shoulders and is very stressed by it all. I did the car ride and neutral run yesterday and it wasn't too bad. Comet did go for Pebbles once so I put them back in the carrier, went out in the car again then back into the run for about 10 mins. What is bothering me and upsetting me the most about the whole thing is how stressed Pebbles is. She has been taken from her normal environment to a strange area and being attacked. I just don't think it is fair. I had made my mind up last night that I was giving up and he would have to go back (I took him on the understanding that if it didn't work he could go back) but this morning I am thinking perhaps I will give it another go. If he was just chasing her I could cope with it but the biting is just so awful. I know it hasn't been very long but I don't think I am strong enough and confident enough to keep putting her through it. Any advice greatly appreciated

I know exactly what you mean. would it be possible for you to ask someone from the rspca or a local rabbit rescue to help you to bond them or just show you the ropes until you fell more confident? If you do take comet back don't be put off getting pebbles a new friend. Because she is a single rabbit she is much more likely to find a love at first sight partner at a rescue. Most of them will take her in for the week and find one for you. Good luck on whatever you decide.:)

I gave them another go this afternoon but Comet has bitten Pebbles again so unfortunately I have decided he is going back. I wish I could persevere and see it through but Pebbles was so unhappy sitting in the corner of the run shaking. She is now back in her own shed with her own bed and tray which she immediately started chinning and just looks so much happier. I did have the option of the rabbit rescue lady bonding them for me but I really couldn't bear to put Pebbles through it. I have had rabbits before that have bonded without too much trouble and I have never seen one so scared and stressed as Pebbles was. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact she only has one eye with very limited vision. Maybe Comet saw this as a weakness and that's why he was nasty to her. Also I imagine it would be more stressful for her leaving her own environment than a fully sighted rabbit. Thankyou for your help and suggestions. I only wish the outcome was different.

It does sound like comet is an aggressive bun. If you haven't had experience of dealing with them then returning him is probably for the best. As I said before though don't let this put you off completely. If you arrange a visit to a rescue with pebbles then she might just find her own partner. good luck with witch ever you decide.:)

where abouts are you Wind, there are many experienced bonding people on here who I'm sure would be more than happy to help you bond a friend for pebbles. Save you all the stress.

Dont feel bad hun,you've given it every chance and you had to do the right thing by Pebbles.
Sending best wishes for whatever you decide x

where abouts are you Wind, there are many experienced bonding people on here who I'm sure would be more than happy to help you bond a friend for pebbles. Save you all the stress.

Thankyou but I am leaving things as they are for the time being. To be honest I wasn't intending getting a friend for Pebbles but this rabbit popped up needing a home so I thought I would give it a try. Pebbles had a boyfriend up until a couple of years ago when he passed away and I decided then to keep her on her own. She lives in a shed with an outside aviary type structure attached which is filled with hutches of guinea pigs. I have 15. So I do feel she has company and she does seem to be a happy bunny with all her space and toys etc. If I do decide to get her a friend I have a local rabbit rescue (which is where she came from) who would help with bonding. I will not be trying it again on my own!

Thankyou but I am leaving things as they are for the time being. To be honest I wasn't intending getting a friend for Pebbles but this rabbit popped up needing a home so I thought I would give it a try. Pebbles had a boyfriend up until a couple of years ago when he passed away and I decided then to keep her on her own. She lives in a shed with an outside aviary type structure attached which is filled with hutches of guinea pigs. I have 15. So I do feel she has company and she does seem to be a happy bunny with all her space and toys etc. If I do decide to get her a friend I have a local rabbit rescue (which is where she came from) who would help with bonding. I will not be trying it again on my own!

good on you for trying to give comet a new home. I'm sure Pebbles won't get lonley with 15 guinea pigs for company:)

Back