• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frankie's hocks are getting worse :-(

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
He now has bald patches in two places :(

I don't know what to do! I still have and am using the cream the vets gave me when i took him in but he is just getting worse :cry:

His nails are trimmed every week (they are black so only take a tiny bit off at a time)

He has lots of excercise and lives in a shed with lino and plenty of hay and straw.

I know this comes up LOADS but i'm not sure what else to do. I have read somewhere of using elasticated finger bandages... do these work?

I am going to ring the vets tomorrow for some advice but i usually get better advice on here in all honesty!

Even though I provided all the correct bedding, Molly's hocks still got worse. I actually found that giving her nothing at all for them, they are getting better, and only cleaning them if they get a bit muddy. Molly reacted to any cream that was put on the hocks and it just made them redder.

Hi you say he is on lino with lots of hay/straw
is this all over floor as a deep bedding?
that's how it should be as a hard surface like lino makes the feet worse
Lots of soft hay or chopped straw quite thick all over the place will help pressure on the feet

If the skin is intact deep bedding everywhere should work eventually. Some rabbits fur grows in spurts. Thumpers' hardly grows at all except just before moulting.

Several vets have said that creams should be avoided unless strictly necessary cos they stop surrounding fur from covering the bare patch.

If the skin has ulcerated, Jack's- Jane got good results with Lady Lydia by using colloidial silver, and savlon colloidial gel together.
Judy & Thumper.

Several vets have said that creams should be avoided unless strictly necessary cos they stop surrounding fur from covering the bare patch.

Judy & Thumper.

My vet agrees with Judy's vet on this.... creams can squash surrounding fur that acts as a cushion to the friction - they should be used with caution and knowledge, and usually bandaging to protect the foot if they are to be used at all. I also had great success without applying creams with a sore hock bun. It's personal choice and trial and error sometimes.
Creams can also leave the skin soft and open to fracturing when pressure is applied....this can also increase the risk of infection into the wound.
Saying this, I have also noticed increased healing using the colloidal gel Jane uses on my dutch bunny's hock (I tried it for a week as an experiment and it did give results) however, for the reasons above and the stress of inverting my bun who panics after being held upside down....i've given up! It's doing equally well left alone.

One of the most important therapies is NSAID - these help reduce the inflammation and chronic skin thickening - which then promotes skin healing. Fibrosed chronic skin thickening does not heal or promote fur regrowth well. I would suggest a course of NSAID - oral metacam for example.
Deep padded bedding whether hay/straw or veterinary bedding is equally important. Good luck...it's a difficult condition i know. :(

Back