• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth problems

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
hi everyone im new to this but would be very grateful for some advice. ive had my dwarf lops gizmo and daisy for about 4 and 3 years respectivley. gizmo has had his teeth burred when he was about 2 and again about 6 weeks ago, now it seems like he needs it done again. im taking him to the vets tommorrow as his mouth is wet but i fell that maybe the vets didnt do a through job and im not sure what to do. any advice would be great.
sorry for the long 1st post!
thanks in advance.:?

hi everyone im new to this but would be very grateful for some advice. ive had my dwarf lops gizmo and daisy for about 4 and 3 years respectivley. gizmo has had his teeth burred when he was about 2 and again about 6 weeks ago, now it seems like he needs it done again. im taking him to the vets tommorrow as his mouth is wet but i fell that maybe the vets didnt do a through job and im not sure what to do. any advice would be great.
sorry for the long 1st post!
thanks in advance.:?

It is hard to tell whether the vets did a good job or not, other factors can play a part in tooth growth rate....rabbit teeth grow continuously throughout life and although it has been some time since his first burr, 6wks between dentals is not at all uncommon, 4 wks can often be the case. It may be that as he is ageing (although still a relatively young bun) he is getting age related changes in his jaw that are changing the shape of his bite and the wear on his teeth, it is possible too that his mouth is now more prone to abcessation from the spurs, or his diet has changed is not abrasive enough? How much hay does he have access to? A diet of around 90% hay is essential for all rabbits but even more so to a dental bun and adequate dental wear from fibrous plant materials (hay and grass) can really help to slow the regrowth. You don't say whether or not this is his incisors (front) or molar (back) teeth?
I would discuss this at length with your vet - are they rabbit savy? Have they taken Xrays of his head/mouth? Do they use GA's for dentals or no sedation? it does depend on front and back teeth for this and vet choice. Incisors can be burred without anaesthetic but molars should not be, although some vets will - some buns are less tolerant of anaesthetics for other reasons.
In the meantime I would up the hay intake as much as possible and get your buns on to a high fibre diet. Good luck with the dental :)

hi i took gizmo to the vets today and the vet said that his molar teeth are ok, as they were burred a few week s ago and his incisors arent aligning properly. they havnt suggested giving him an xray, i am thinking of changing vets as im not really that happy with them.
Gizmo doesnt eat hay just turns his nose up! he also doesnt like readigrass either, he spends about 5 hrs per day in the garden during the week and all day during the weekends or when ever im home really as we have alot cats in our area. im currently trying to get hold of some apple tree branches which im hoping he will chew on otherwise im not sure what else to try.

hi just re read your post lupin. both times he has been burred he has had anesthetic for his molar teeth but never has a prob with his incisors before but the vet didnt say anything about burring his front teeth when i went today he just gave him a jab incase he still had ulcers in his mouth from his spurs. thanks for your reply it was helpful! :)

Back