• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to feed a bun with a painful mouth?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My Dixie has a sore in his mouth which is causing him quite a lot of discomfort. I'm feeding him soaked Burgess junior pellets, grated apple and carrot, and tiny pieces of cabbage/lettuce. He dives into the bowl very enthusiastically, but only eats a small amount before his mouth is too sore to carry on. Any ideas what food might tempt him to eat more?

BTW He's on metacam (0.3mls twice per day) and depocillin (every third day)

He's going to have to be PTS if the sore doesn't start to heal soon. He had a biopsy done last week and will definitely be PTS if it proves to be cancer.

I'm feeding Jess baby food, thanks to Hugo's there, I use Ella's kitchen. Jess also has a sore mouth, although she is eating really well now, and loves the apple/ banana flavour and the parsnip/ carrot flavour ( these are the only 2 flavours I know suitable for her at the moment.) I have also been feeding her porridge in the hope it puts some weight back on her.

Sorry to hear Dixie is so unwell, do hope it isn't cancer.

Is he also on fibreplex, its good for keeping the gut bacteria working when they aren't eating much.

Last edited:
Poor little thing. I hope the test results are clear. Have you tried him with Recovery diet? I know it's meant for syringe feeding, but make it at a thicker consistency and he may eat it out of a bowl - my pair love the taste!

Baby food is not ideal, but if he won't eat the recovery you could try him with vegetable puree baby food.

I would feed mixed mush eg crush n soak pellets, mix with pureed apple, carrot etc. and soaked porridge oats. You can also finely chop grass or hay will sissors to increase fibre.

The other problem is eating soft food means teeth won't wear so they will overgrow if it's kept up for too long :(

So sad..poor Dixie:cry:
Soaked pellets mixed with baby food is a good idea..nothing to chew..we use the Hipp foods and alot are safe for bunnies

Apple and Pear
apple and banana
apple and blueberry
Carrot and sweetcorn

etc..

Hope it isn't cancer and his mouth heals
give him a gentle noserub from me xx

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :wave:

Jane - the sore has developed into a lump covered in necrotic tissue...so my vet now thinks its more likely to be cancer or an abscess :(

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :wave:

Jane - the sore has developed into a lump covered in necrotic tissue...so my vet now thinks its more likely to be cancer or an abscess :(

:cry:

Some Buns will eat Critical Care from a bowl.

Uncle Albert had a Fibrosarcoma in his mouth and in his last few weeks did well on bowls of Critical Care

Would syphillis be only on the inside of the mouth?

I don't know. It usually effects the mucus membranes around the lips, ears, nose or genitals. It can be around the mouth without showing symptoms elsewhere. I haven't heard of it causing, for example, a sore in the inside of the cheek but I don't know if that's because it can't or it's rare. If there was abrasion in the mouth already maybe it could have infected it?

Pop had a dental on Friday & he hasn't eaten any hard food yet:? He's had some grated carrot & apple & is now on baby food, which he is eating himself. He's got another vet's appointment tomorrow, so they gonna check for sores (he's on metacam)

Unfortunately the baby food received a big thumbs down from Dixie, but he has managed to eat nearly a whole bowl full of pellet mush and grated carrot and apple, plus some dandelion leaves overnight.

The vet gave him an injection of a stronger painkiller yesterday evening (not sure what), which zonked him out for a while but it definitely encouraged him to eat more.

when Sugarplum had her teeth removed all she would eat is hay! Before Fudge died he would only eat fresh broccoli not exactly traditional sore mouth foods but the traditional soft foods weren't appreciated for some reason :?

Back