• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed sleeping questions.

Beckyboo

Young Bun
Hope someone can offer some advice.

I have my two rabbits in an 8 by 6 half shed half aviary with a run attached to it and have built a sleeping area in the shed part which effictively looks like a hutch. They also have lots of levels etc to move around.

Now the problemthat I have is that while they are using a big litter tray they are also using their sleeping area as a toilet too and while it can be cleaned out fairly easily I would prefer them not to use it and wondered if they are actually sleeping in their at all (when its all locked up for the night I can't see!) .

The shed has been well insulated walls, floor and ceiling using a breathable membrane, kingspan insulation and then has been completed boarded, floor tiles too etc so I am sure its as warm as a can be so I just wondered what other people use as a sleeping area in sheds and what bedding you use.

Any advice welcome!

Becky

How about a dog bed with lots of hay to snuggle in - At least you can tip that in the bin fairly easily and give it a wash.

To be honest, i gave up on the idea of giving Ronnie and Lola a bed in their shed :? When they first moved in, they had a plastic dog bed full of hay... they used that as a litter tray :roll: Then we got them a large car carrier, put blankets in etc and they just tip it upside down and sit on top of it. Last thing we tried was a wicker laundry basket, with lots of towels/fleecy blankets in... they still prefer to sit on the bare floor to sleep :?

Bunnies are picky little things :lol: Have u cleaned it al down with vinegar so they can no longer smell the wee in there? Thing is, they may have turned that into their toilet area... their bed is probably somewhere different in the shed ;) xXx

One of my bunnies has decided his bedding are will be his wee area instead...so i just gave in knowing id lose the battle, and bought a cat litter that fit into the bedding area, which i can easily take out and clean everyday. It stops the area rotting and is much easier to clean, as its just plastic, i got two so i can use one and clean the other one, they arent expensive and can easily be replaced.

You may have to just give in too, one of my bunnies chooses to sleep in different places depending on the time of day and weather...so i just leave her to it!

Thanks for the replies!

I will try cleaning the area down with vinegar. I don't mind the sleeping area going and using a dog bed but now its in there and fitted I will try and see if they will be encouraged to use their litter tray more instead.

They have only been in there a few weeks so its early days - if not then its going! :)

My shed houses 5 buns and we always find them sleeping on the open shelf where the carpet tiles are fitted. They just snuggle up closer to each other when it is a bit chilly.

We tried the dog bed filled with straw (used as a litter tray like Becky86) I put in some large cardboard boxes and their carrier too, lined with newspaper which was just shredded to bits within hours. I guess they just don't want to have a special snuggly sleep area and are happy with the carpeted shelf. :roll:

Initially mine would wee anywhere there was hay, so in the summer (a warm one a few years ago) I only put hay in their litter trays and in a basket on the wall.
Within a few weeks they were used to going just in the litter tray, and for the past 2 years the rest of their shed has been spotless, and in the winter I can fill their bed with loads and loads of hay to snuggle in.

I'd start limiting where you put their hay for a few weeks to just in the trays etc and see how that goes.

If they insist on weeing up in the bed area with no hay then move a litter tray to that corner for now.

Back