• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lapizole...sound advice?

Rose24

Warren Scout
Hi All,

My apologies if this has already been discussed. I panacur my bunnies regularly and as they are off to the lovely bunnery soon I asked my vet for some more panacur. My vet (not my regular one) advised to switch to Lapizole for 28 days as you do not have to repeat it like panacur?? She also advised that I start the course once they are back from boarding.

Is this sound advice? I still have plenty of time to panacur them if thats for the best. I'm once again confused :oops:

x x x x

I can't advise about Lapizole but I can confirm that I was advised by our vets recently that the latest thinking is to Panacur all new rabbits once only (for 28 days) and then only do it again if you introduce a new rabbit, in which case Panacur them all for 28 days, or if they go boarding in which case do them for 28 days apon their return. In each case you need to observe the special cleaning regime which I would have to check up on but it was mentioned in yesterdays thread re same, think its on days 21 and 28 but please check that.

Mine have just come back from their holidays so I will be Panacuring them asap.

I have never used lapizole but thought that and panacur had the same active ingredient so are both used in the same way :?

Yes they are the same active ingredient, just different manufacturers. I suspect the confusion has occurred because panacur gives a 9 day 'preventative' treatment option, which has various vets debating whether that is a worthwhile thing to do or not.

But in essence, they are both the same thing so it doesn't really matter which you use - go with whatever your buns are happy to take!

thanks for the advice. Should I be protecting my bunnies before they go tho? Thats whats worrying me, or is it ok to do once they get back? x

Panacur doesn't actually have any long lasting properties so will not protect them as such. I would have thought it would be better to do it when they return in case they have picked anything up while they are there :?

If you're going to do the 28 days I think I'd be inclined to start it 7 days before they go and run the 28 days throughout their stay if the boarders are happy to do this, and continue it for the remainder of the preiod when they return home - that way if they come into contact with ec while they are on their stay, it shouldn't even infect them in the first place. The original '9 day' study showed that if buns come into contact with ec during a 9 day course of panacur, they shouldn't get infected by it.

Hi,
I've been just finished treating Oscar who developed EC with severe head tilt etc. My vet gave me metacam & Pancur which I had used before. While I was away on holiday my mum took him to her vets to get some more Metacam and he gave her Lapizole as he said that its stronger and also shown better results (not sure how they can judge that as each case is different). The vet also said that it was a fairly new drug developed specifically for rabbits as Pancur one is basically the same as the horse, cat & dog one. So Oscar has now had his full course of this and they have flavoured it to taste of aniseed which rabbits like. Although you have to syringe alot into their mouths, Oscar is a small lionhead and he had to have 2 full syringe fulls a day for 28 days - along with baytril and metacam, obviously he got very cross especially when he was feeling much better - I have scars to prove it!

He really rebelled at the pancur and I really struggled and he took the Lapizole stuff much better.

Good luck.

Hi,
I've been just finished treating Oscar who developed EC with severe head tilt etc. My vet gave me metacam & Pancur which I had used before. While I was away on holiday my mum took him to her vets to get some more Metacam and he gave her Lapizole as he said that its stronger and also shown better results (not sure how they can judge that as each case is different). The vet also said that it was a fairly new drug developed specifically for rabbits as Pancur one is basically the same as the horse, cat & dog one. So Oscar has now had his full course of this and they have flavoured it to taste of aniseed which rabbits like. Although you have to syringe alot into their mouths, Oscar is a small lionhead and he had to have 2 full syringe fulls a day for 28 days - along with baytril and metacam, obviously he got very cross especially when he was feeling much better - I have scars to prove it!

He really rebelled at the pancur and I really struggled and he took the Lapizole stuff much better.

Good luck.

Wow! are you sure - 2 full syringes full a DAY for 28 days? That sounds an awful lot.

The Panacur is aniseed flavoured too I understand and mine take it in a herb "sandwich" no problem

Back