• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I have some vibes for Jet please? U/D GONE

vicki267

Mama Doe
She has quite a badly bloated belly :cry:

As soon as I noticed she went into the vets and has had baytril, metacam and metaclop injections.

She's not eating and she would take water from the end of a syringe, but since me adding Avipro to her bowl, she's helping herself.

She's still running from a to b but isn't her usual self.

She hasn't pooped since at least 11am (when I got in and separated her from Steve).

Can I have some vibes please and also any tips on bloat - She is definately bloated as belly is very hard!

Last edited:
Dont know why Baytril, I'm guessing he wanted to be on the safe side??

She has been letting me do little belly rubs for a little while at a time.

(why Baytril???)

I always wonder this too!

Tummy rubs, gripe water or infacol and oral fluids such as cooled peppermint/fennel/camomile/nettle teas can be very helfpul. I would also keep her warm using a hot water bottle or heat pad if she becomes listless. Encouraging her to hop around if she is still active may also help. I hope she feels better soon :)

I now swear by Gripe Water for bloat.

I am surprised she was given Metoclop if its a true bloat though :?

I've been so confused by previous topics on here on when to and when not to give metaclop - I took her straight there instead of posting on here first.

Where will I get Gripe water from?

Big loves and hugs for Jet - when Lola was like this I was distraught, get well soon x x x

I always wonder this too!

Tummy rubs, gripe water or infacol and oral fluids such as cooled peppermint/fennel/camomile/nettle teas can be very helfpul. I would also keep her warm using a hot water bottle or heat pad if she becomes listless. Encouraging her to hop around if she is still active may also help. I hope she feels better soon :)

Shall I nip down the chemist to get some infacol now? How much would I give her?

I have some peppermint tea in the cupboard :)

Shall I nip down the chemist to get some infacol now? How much would I give her?

I have some peppermint tea in the cupboard :)

I have only ever used infacol to date but recently bought the Woodward's gripe water for next time as this is what Jane has found to be more effective and I trust her experience. You can give 1ml of infacol every 2-4 hours when bloat is bad, or as it gets better 3x a day. Jane I think does 2ml/kg of gripe water over the same time periods - so every couple of hours when it is bad ( I think!??)

Yes, make a mug of peppermint tea and leave the bag in for a good 5 mins. Then let it cool to room temp. I would start trying to syringe 0.5ml at a time to let her swallow carefully and see if she will take some fluids. She can have around 20-30ml every 4 hours or so if she's very dehydrated. Did the vet give her some sub-cuts?
Different vets have different opinions on metclopramide....it is usually advised against if there is an obvious obstruction to which the bloat is secondary as a gut motility agent acting on the higher gut it can cause rupture. However, if the vet examined your bun and found no obvious obstruction then I personally feel it will be ok. (however an Xray is the only way to be sure) my vet and I do tend to give it but every case of bloat/stasis/impaction is very different - you need to be confident in what your vet know and can find on examination. The most important things for an acute bloat are pain relief, fluids, gripe water and warmth. Good luck :)

Meant to say I would give her regular tummy rubs. Just how I do it is like this:
Pick bunny up and give her a really good tummy rub and warm her up on my lap...I would then give her the gripe water/infacol....and then attempt to give her some oral fluids if she is willing. If not then she will need sub-cut fluids from the vet. Saying this, when our bun had her impaction and acute bloat she needed both oral and sub cut fluids together to keep her responsive.

Edited to say that: She will also need ongoing pain relief until she is back to normal. What did the vets give her? Did they give you any oral metacam to continue at home? Once the acute bloat subsides a little and there is no obstruction you will need to start syringe feeding her if she will not eat by herself in order to keep her guts mobile.

Last edited:
Well I dont know how he could tell as her belly is very hard!

Plus the bloat is high up (stomach rather than intestines) so I'm really worried that she's had metaclop now :(

I'll pop a heat pad in the microwave and pop down the chemist and either get gripe water or infacol, whichever I can find.

The peppermint tea is cooling now ;)

I have read so much before about bloat, but thought I was doing the best thing getting her straight to vets, maybe it would have been better to come on here first :(

Meant to say I would give her regular tummy rubs. Just how I do it is like this:
Pick bunny up and give her a really good tummy rub and warm her up on my lap...I would then give her the gripe water/infacol....and then attempt to give her some oral fluids if she is willing. If not then she will need sub-cut fluids from the vet. Saying this, when our bun had her impaction and acute bloat she needed both oral and sub cut fluids together to keep her responsive.

Well she still wont let me pick her up :lol::roll:

He did say if she got worse bring her back for sub cuts.

Definately always take your bun to the vets first if they have bloat :) You have done the right thing.

The first thing my vets do after giving pain relief is take x-rays to see if there is an obstruction. If there is then metaclopromide is not given. If there isn't an obstruction the it is fine to give metaclopromide :)

Regardless of cause I would definately recommend infacol and getting as much fluids into her as possible. Try and guage the size of her tummy now and feel it regularly if it feels like it is getting bigger or she is deteriorating in any other way I would get her straight back to the vets.

Sending loads of vibes for Jet, as I know what a special bunny she is :love:

Yes you did the right thing - apart from Rodney and Marie none of us on here are vets...taking your bun to the vet immediately is exactly the right thing to do. As Hugo's there says, keep an eye on the distension - if it gets worse then she will need to go straight back (it could be obstructive) but hopefully with the meds and tummy rubs and fluids it will begin to recede. It can come and go and swell up and down - so watch it carefully, adequate pain relief is absolutely essential for managing bloat.

Thanks guys, I've been to the shop and bought "Nurse Harvey's" Gripe mixture so I'll give that a try now as well as everything else.

I will log off now and read a book so I can sit next to her and keep her company (she loves that) she is still drinking the water on her own but only if it has avipro in it :shock:

Speak later

Back