• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

protecting wires

shelley1977

Warren Scout
Hi,what does everyone use to protect wires from nibbling house buns?Due to the placement of sockets i always have at least 2 wires along edge of carpet that need protecting.

Shelley

I used to buy those computer wire protectors but I found them to very ugly and obtrustive so now I use the clear air tubes you can get for fish tanks cut down the length and wrapped round. It looks so much better and so far by buns haven't chewed it.

Thank you for suggestions,i will hopefully soon not have to worry about sky cable or computer wires for much longer.

Shelley

They will always do it as in nature they would always be chewing on twigs and sticks.

My personal tip is to use garden hosepipe.

Someone - and I'm sorry but I can't remember who - told me that the softeners that are used to make the plastic coating for wires actually taste sweet, so chewing on a wire is a bit like chewing on a tasty sweet root vegetable if you happen to be a rabbit....:oops: ... and that's why buns like to chew wires.Not sure if that's true, but there you go....

We use the wire protectors from IKEA.

I remove the plugs and feed the cables through hollow metal tubes: mine came from an old plastic greenhouse but you can also buy them in diy shops like wickes.
Don't forget to re-attach the plugs!

Back