• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spurs on molars...

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Well my little Bronwyn was a bit off her pelets this weekend so I took her down to the vets and he said she has spurs on two of her bottom molars. They have not ulcerated her mouth at all and she is still a healthy weight and passing nice big poops :) but they must be causing her discomfort as she hasn't been herself since friday...

He gave her a pain killer and booked her in to have her molars burred tomorrow and I can't help worrying about her so if anyone has some advice for after op care or anything else I can do to make her more comfortable before or after it would really be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

I took Amber in on the on the day she didn't eat her veg. The vet booked her in there and then so i didn't have time to worry:shock:

Your little girl will be just fine:) My advice, as i've just posted on another thread would be to get her favoutite softer food in so you can tempt her to eat when she comes home. I have found with Amber though that she wouldn't eat her favourite things for a few days and went for watercress and dandelion leaves! Put her water in a bowl instead of a bottle and keep her warm with a heatpad. It did take her weeks to eat hay again.

Hi, Bugsy has had his done twice now and he's been absolutely fine afterwards. I've just kept him quiet and made sure he can't attempt to jump onto anything until the anasthetic has worn off. He was back eating later that night and back to normal by the next day. Your bunny will be a much happier one!

Hey my bun gets this done every month pretty much (not so much now as the teeth are falling out) sometimes with an anaesthetic n sometimes without. its totally safe n shes back to eating hay in no time!

If she's normally outdoors she will need to be brought inside tomorrow night, as the anaesthetic limits the bun's ability to regulate its body temperature.

When she gets home, just leave her somewhere quiet and draught-free, with a bowl of water (tired bunnies tend to prefer a bowl to a bottle as it's less effort) and some tasty food. I wouldn't do anything to try and make her eat, just leave her with food and water and let her rest after the anaesthetic. Hopefully she'll be hopping around and eating in no time, she should feel more comfortable straight away although her mouth may be a little tender after the dental. Keep an eye on her eating/pooping and if she's not eating/pooping the following morning after the dental, you'll need to take her back for some drugs to help get things going again. Hopefully it won't be necessary though - they're usually fine quite quickly :)

Thanks a lot! You've all reassured me quite a bit!

I will put her in a small indoor cage overnight to keep her warm and I'll feed her all her favorites... basically try to make everything as comfey and easy for her as possible.

I just can't wait til the day after tomorrow when she'll hopefully be getting back to her usual happy bunny self!

Thumper had his molar spurs burred today. assessed at 11.00 am, quick gas GA, home as bright as a button, chomping hay again at 4.30 pm.
It's really good you picked up on it before the spurs caused mouth ulcers, because she'll be pain free & back eating again so quickly.

For rabbit psychology, to give him something from his home environment to make him feel more secure in hospital I am allowed to leave his favourite cuddly toy with him & a smelly gardening jumper of mine (so he thinks I'm nearby!)

All the best for tomorrow. Judy & Thumper.

Nummy has to get his molars spurs burred every few months or so too, after his appointment he seems relieved to have them gone! When I get him home I offer fresh greens, hay and of course pleanty of love :love: Your bun will probably feel much better too after the appointment. :D

Back