• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Willow sticks-my buns dont like them...

petparadise123

Mama Doe
I got a pack from PAH a few weeks back and gave the buns them but they havent touched them.what shall i do? how do you give them to yours? should i even give them to them?

Mine ignored the willow sticks - I don't think that they could get hold of them to chew. I took them out of the hutch as I was worried they'd skid on them and hurt their legs. They liked the willow objects better such as the ball and the hoop thing.
:)

Kermit never liked the willow sticks, but he did like willow toys like the ball or ring. I think the sticks are kinda different stuff.....if thats possible.

mine love them, they chew the vine and then theres tons of sticks everywhere and then they chew each stick so its sooooo thin :lol:

ours dont like them, but a friend on here has a willow tree and gives me some when I see her and they love it, think it is fresh and not dried

willow sticks they vanish in 5 mins mine love em sticks boots rings etc any kind :lol:

Amber won't touch the sticks but theres a large tunnel made out of thin willow with gets demolished over night. You could try the willow baskets instead of the sticks.

The shop owner where i get it from told me that willow gives buns a buzz as it's a bit like asprin. I was a bit sceptical BUT i SWEAR it impoves Amber's appetite when she's 'been on the willow' the night before:lol:

Mine don't like willow sticks either. I get given that look like ' Mummmmm.....we dont like theze stickyz. Why do you keep tormenting us with them?'

Fussy buns :lol:

I got a pack from PAH a few weeks back and gave the buns them but they havent touched them.what shall i do? how do you give them to yours? should i even give them to them?

It's because they are dried and old! If you get fresh willow they will literally strip the bark off it :D The willowwarren at West Wales Willows grows and makes bunny toys from their own willow. If you can find a willow tree then a twig or two of this will also be a lot fresher :)
Willow contains salicin - which is where Aspirin is derived from. There are apparently 220 odd varieties of willow and different species have different levels of salicin. Apparently no one knows yet if these levels of salicin have any detrimental or positive effect on rabbits... If you get your willow toys from the willow warren they pick species which are lower in salicins or they strip the bark off the higher level ones. They also sell willow bundles that you can grow at home and cut and pick for your buns that way!
Mine love fresh willow! :D:wave:
http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/

Edited to say that aspirin is an analgesic and therefore salicins in willow may have pain relieving properties in rabbits.

Last edited:
Back