• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly rabbit. Needs some answers!

Jessiica

New Kit
Hello,
I am new to this and need some help,
I Have a 7 week old rabbit. Today i went to her hutch outside and she was standing in to corner staring at the wall, She is normally quite scatty but when i picked her up, she didnt move at all. she also had which only can be expained as clear gunk coming out her bum!

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks Jessiica.

Sounds bad :s

Can you call a vet?

How long have you had the bun (if he/she is 7 weeks old...shouldnt have been taken off mum long...?)

Wish you luck!!

Sounds like a bug.

Id take them all to the vet!!

Poor things :(

Hasnt your vet done an autopsy on any of them if youve already lost a few?

we had a autopsy on one before. all the vet did was give an injection to one of the others, it did surive, but we never found out the real problem. so couldnt rule out anything that would have caused it!
Do ou have any ideas.
is it prone in mini lops?

What sort of buns are getting ill.... are they all kits.. older ones? Ones that are bonded or old??

You need to look at the ones that have passed and find all the things that seem to be the same.... it may help?

There all Young, the same litter
I did have a look at the one that died today, It had a tennis ball size lump in its stomach, could that be a blockage? could that be what its causing them to have the clear discharge?
The mum of the litter is fine, so i dont really know what is causing it.
i am a new breeder and this is all quite worrying! :(

How old were they when you took them away from mum, what food have you got them on, is the food old, is there water clean? and how much, if any, have they been pooing? Whats it looked like? Is it hard or soft...?

I have only just taken then away from the mum, As they were not looking to good so i didnt want her to catch anything.
They are on pellets, the food isnt old as it is a new bag, and only just got it, they have a fresh supply of water everyday. they are also fed hay at all times as well.
i havent really studied thier poo's would this be a indercation on what could be wrong?

Yes, poo is important, you need to be making sure they are pooing, how much and what type..... if they are pooing very little or not at all that could mean they have stasis which means the digestive system is blocked and they need urgent medical attention......

You should def be checking these things when you take them away from mum because buns tummies are very delicate and dont cope too well with sudden dietry change, I assume they are eating the same pellets they were eating when they were with mum?

Maybe you should get the vets to check over your remaining rabbits seen as so many have passed away.

Id imagine there is alot to learn when breeding and it could be a number of things *i dont agree with it by the way*.

I would also be worried incase its a hereditary (sp?) thing, i mean you dont want to be breeding and putting more buns though this.

Yes there on the same pellets, i never change there food, just been out to check there hutch, they are pooing, but it is quite soft?

I do take into consideration that some people do not agree with breeding!?

Yeah, this forum is very anti-breeding and more rescue orientated, so its usually best not to be boasting about being a breeder or anything on here.

The soft poos are the ones they should usually be eating..... have a feel of there tummies, are they hard? or bloated??

I would def take any buns to vet tomorrow ASAP, although, I dont think I am convinced your vet would be the best place to go, you need to find someone who is rabbit savvy, where do you live?

How many buns have died and how many are left?

How do they feel.... are they hot/cold or normal? All the little things matter!

I would just like to say thank you for your help.

maybe this isnt the site i should be posting on.
sorry for wasting all of your time.

Jess

i hope your rabbit is ok? i genuinely do. and please DONT take offence but if you dont know what to look for that would indicate illness in rabbits then maybe you dont have the knowledge to breed rabbits.

i am a vet nurse and i CERTAINLY wouldnt have the foggyest :shock:;)

i feel the same about any animal breeder, you need to know everything about the species before you start multiplying them...i mean everything, otherwise someone can do more harm than good for the breed/species overall

goodluck with your baby bun x

You haven't wasted anyone's time; don't worry. I'm sure everyone just wants your bunnies to be ok. Have a look at the links Jane has posted. Hope they get better soon.

Good luck with the bun. Perhaps bring her in for some cuddles and keep an eye on her intakes and outputs....

Hopefully you'll find a good vet and save the bun.

Good luck!

I would just like to say thank you for your help.

maybe this isnt the site i should be posting on.
sorry for wasting all of your time.

Jess

Back