• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help! :'(

animal luver#1

Warren Scout
Some of my rabbits aren't very tame. I would really like to be closer to them and have them not be scared of me! 3 of my rabbits back away every time i come near. It's horrible. I feel like a bad mummy.:( Any ideas on how we can bond and become closer? My other 5 rabbits and I don't have problems.

Last edited:
How about hand feeding them some yummy veggies or fruit? or when they are in their run you could go down to their level (lie down) and just stay still, speak calmly they will approach you, slowly built their confidence etc. :)

Can I ask why you have so many? Perhaps if you stuck to the 5 you have a bond with, you could rehome the others? It might be that they are being dominated so much by the other buns that they are becoming very timid generally, and so will naturally be wary of you.

If you want to keep them all, don't pick them up unless you absolutely have to, but spend lots of time sitting on their level offering their favourite treats on the palm of your hand and talking to them very softly, and let them come to you.

When taming mine, i put them somewhere near people for a few days, so they can see/hear people. Then i start feeding small bits of treats through the bars for a week or two then start letting them out while i'm there.. I will often sit or lay on the floor and not move so the bunnies come up and sniff me and get used to my scent. Eventually they will come and sit with me and i'll give them treats, then suddenly they are cuddly bunnies :D

Always works with mine.

Just sit with them and be very still. They will come over and investigate you and eventually they will get used to you and realise you are not a threat. If they know you are going to try and pick them up I think they will always run away though, this is normal for all rabbits :lol:

Can I ask why you have so many? Perhaps if you stuck to the 5 you have a bond with, you could rehome the others? It might be that they are being dominated so much by the other buns that they are becoming very timid generally, and so will naturally be wary of you.

If you want to keep them all, don't pick them up unless you absolutely have to, but spend lots of time sitting on their level offering their favourite treats on the palm of your hand and talking to them very softly, and let them come to you.

I have so many because the people we got them from said they were both girls. Then when we found 6 baby rabbits at the back of the hutch we knew that one of them was a boy! LOL We were only supposed to have 2..... thank you for the tips!:)

Oggie and delly live in my room, so very confidant with coming up to the bars ect.
But if they were outdoors, I would say just to sit with them and hand feed them. Letting them get used to you slowly. :)

I don't understand why it is wrong to have 8 rabbits, prehaps its because i have so many that 8 really doesn't seem a lot :? There are so many needy rabbits in rescues and else where looking for homes it seems wrong to try to encourage someone to rehome their bunnies just because they haven't yet developed a bond with them.

The OP obviously wants to improve the relationship they have with these bunnies so again I don't understand your reasoning. It would be lovely if all rabbit owners went to the trouble of finding ways to make interacting with their pets easier :)

Back