• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this right? E.Cuniculi??

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
My vet has told me Magic should always live alone as she is an E.Cuniculi carrier :?
Every one of her partners has died of it :( Blue, Asbeau, Holly... :( Which has made the vet think that they are getting it from her. I worm her twice a year (reccomnedation from my vet) and once a month I disinfect her shed and run area (obviously she is cleaned out weekly, litter trays daily).
Anyway, just wondering if that sounds right? :(

I suspect all my buns have it as I know at least 4 definitely have. I would never make them live alone because of it.

Of the ones that definitely have it - one died of old age after having head tilt 5 years ago (10 years old when died) but his partner lives on; one died of EC related pneumonia 2 years ago (but her EC positive Head Tilt partner lives on . . . he is now 9yrs and incredibly fit); one who has had it since birth lives happily with his partner who shows no signs of any illness.

I treat pairs with Lapizole for 28 days if I see anything that makes me wary (increased water consumption, loss of weight etc).

Its up to you but personally I would treat this bun with Lapizole/Panacur for 28 days and then do the same with a new partner for her, clean as you have done. But then just go for it.

~Beth, I'm sure this has been advised before:?
if you have a bun with EC or dying from it
Then you MUST panacur for 28 days..not the worming 9 day course which is worthless

It is now advised that you must clean out all areas on the first day of course and the 21st and 28th day..this will ensure the infecting spores being shed are killed

Using a 10% bleach solution..alowing to dry then rinsing..or a vet strength disinfectant to clean

Keep infected bun off grass areas..use only areas which can be cleaned.

When introducing a new bun..follow the above routine again..the 28 day med and clean course for both bunnies
Then should be ok

on a side point this is one reason Iodo not recommend boarding establishments that use grass runs as they cannot be cleaned in between buns

I have a couple of rabbits that were suspected to have EC and i never keep them on their own. They have ALL had a 29 day course of panacur to be on the safe side and i give them a 9day course every 3 months. If you take the right precausions then id imagine you'll be ok. Just need to be very careful. I'd reccomend doing Magic a 29day course, and if you got another bun id clean EVERYTHING and give that bun a 29day course too just in case, and personally if you do suspect Magic has EC id give her a 9day course every 3 months. Thats just my opinion though :)

The 9 day course gets rid of worms if your bun has them..very rare..it will not get rid of EC..only 28 day course will do that

The 9 day course gets rid of worms if your bun has them..very rare..it will not get rid of EC..only 28 day course will do that

Is it not reccomended to give 9day course every 3months :?. I thought it was.. so do i not need to give all mine 9day course every 3months then? or what would you recomend?

*** sorry dont want to highjack this thread :shock:

The 9 day course is a wormer
And if you bun has worms..very rare..then they should be treated for EC as worms can carry it
therefore if you bun has worms they should have the 28 day course

Giving a bun unneccessary meds..ie 9 day course is something I would not recommend

28 day course and proper cleaning rountine..better...
to add I am not a vet but I have thought this for a long while and this was advised by Neil Forbes who is a highly respected vet and has researched into EC

**if bun is showing signs of EC they should also have anti biotics and Metacam for inflammation and pain relief

I wouldn't keep a rabbit alone just because of a diagnosis of E.c. Supposedly over half of all pet rabbits in the UK are already infected, probably around the time of birth in most cases.

I am also wondering how a diagnosis of E.c. as the case of death was reached in each case. Were post mortems done? I believe that is the only reliable method. I'm concerned that E.c. is over-diagnosed sometimes.

right,
I treated her with a 28 day course when Holly died, and now I do the 9 day course. If she shows signs of E.C (which she never does) then yes I will give her the 28 day one but I have been told that I only need to do the 9 day course unless she shows signs or another rabbit around her does (as I have no rabbits around her obviously this hasn't happened yet)
So should I stop worming her twice a year unless she shows signs of E.C and in those circumstances treat her with the 28 day course?

right,
I treated her with a 28 day course when Holly died, and now I do the 9 day course. If she shows signs of E.C (which she never does) then yes I will give her the 28 day one but I have been told that I only need to do the 9 day course unless she shows signs or another rabbit around her does (as I have no rabbits around her obviously this hasn't happened yet)
So should I stop worming her twice a year unless she shows signs of E.C and in those circumstances treat her with the 28 day course?

Yeah, that's the current advice. Some people do a 28 day course every couple of years or when they get a new bun as well :)

The 9 day course is a wormer
And if you bun has worms..very rare..then they should be treated for EC as worms can carry it
therefore if you bun has worms they should have the 28 day course

Giving a bun unneccessary meds..ie 9 day course is something I would not recommend

28 day course and proper cleaning rountine..better...
to add I am not a vet but I have thought this for a long while and this was advised by Neil Forbes who is a highly respected vet and has researched into EC

**if bun is showing signs of EC they should also have anti biotics and Metacam for inflammation and pain relief

Thanks Jill. So are you meaning every 3months they should be getting a 29day course? or just IF they show signs? :) x

my personal advice..remembering I'm not a vet would be to do the 28 day course of meds and cleaning..and only repeat the meds if any signs are shown ..or a new bun is introduced..then do them both

Back