• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pringle.... (long post sorry, just need to let it out) U/D 06/08/09 - VET PHONED!!

Pringle

Warren Veteran
This rabbit is just SOOO Random!!!:roll:

He is the biggest worrier ever... ok......

I don't know if some of you remember a few months ago Pringle had a big problem with his stomach and poo'ing. He had huge lumps of poo in his stomach and wasnt poo'ing. He was put on metaclopramide, zantac, paraffin, baytril, pineapple juice and cisapride (prepulsid) he was in a really bad way for a while and was on a drip at the vet :cry:....

The vet couldnt find the cause of why this was happening. Well he eventually poo'd loads and his tummy slowly cleared. We cut his meds down slowly and he was left being on cisaprise 1/4tablet once daily and 0.5ml paraffin twice daily.

The vet said to me they are amazed Pringle got through that and they thought they wouldnt see him now...

Well he has been great for a couple of months but this last week and a bit his stomach has been playing up again :cry::cry:.....

He has been to vet and is put on all his meds again and pineapple juice, and some days he poo's a decent amount, other days he doesnt really poo much. His tummy will feel really lumpy and big clumps of poo and other days it feels quite empty. He is still active, drinking well, eating well etc its just this darn stomach :cry:.

He was back at the vet on Friday for a check and the vet said she was happy as his stomach didnt feel as 'doughy' as it did a week previous. She also said the poo is nearer his bottom rather than further forward. She mentioned she thinks it may be like what horses get (grass sickness) but in a rabbit (cant remember proper name, Jane mentioned this the last time Pringle wasnt well). Its basically where the nerves don't work properly :cry::cry::cry:... The vet said she thinks at some point Pringles body wont respond to the meds and the nerves will just shut down:cry::cry::cry:...I dread this day.........

ANOTHER THING...... he has to go in to get his teeth done tomorrow :cry: which consists of a GA which im getting really worried about. They dont want to leave it any longer (he gets them done evrery 6-8weeks) because they say he might start not digesting his food which will cause a lot more problem with his gut. Im just really concerned. Pringles normally (touch wood) really good at coming round from GA and eats quickly and starts poo'ing soon after, and by the time hes home he runs aroud daft. So im just hoping its the same tomorrow :cry:.

Vet mentioned referring him to the Edinburgh vet school to see if they can figure out what is causing this, but she said she thinks they would want to cut him open etc, and i hate that thought:(. They are going to send his medical history to them to see if they have any idea and maybe could give advice from that.

Im just now getting really worried about him. He has been through SOOO much. Between teeth, stomach, suspected EC etc etc.. i just cant believe how strong he has been!! hes such a wonderful, friendly, cheeky little bun its like nothing bothers him and he takes every little thing with a pinch of salt.

Im basically just writing this as i keep worrying about him and just wanted some vibes for him really :cry:.

I 'think' im doing all i can really for him so we will see. Im constantly counting his poops:roll: and checking on him just hoping theirs huge poos about!!!

These buns really take it out of us i tell you :roll:!!

Hes just so special to me..... And i really hope he poos loads... and gets back on track with this tummy of his.......

Sorry this is such a long post... i just feel nobody really understands how draining, worrying, etc these buns can be....

Thanks for reading....

He's so special :love::love::love:

Last edited:
Hi Hayley.

Is it Colic you are refering to (the grass poisening). I dont know much about it, just thought i would help you out with the word you were searching for ;).

I am sending loads of love and vibes to Pringle and hugs to you. I have always viewed your bond with Pringle like my bond with Flynn. While absolutly love and cherish all my buns, Flynn is just that extra bit special, just like Pringle is to you.

Plus, Pringle and Flynn seem to be so strong and such fighters! Its incredible really!

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow, hope the dental goes well :love::love::love::love:

Aw Pringle sounds like a right wee fighter!! I hope he gets better soon, sending loads of vibes your way xx

Thanks everyone xx

Hi Hayley.

Is it Colic you are refering to (the grass poisening). I dont know much about it, just thought i would help you out with the word you were searching for ;).

I am sending loads of love and vibes to Pringle and hugs to you. I have always viewed your bond with Pringle like my bond with Flynn. While absolutly love and cherish all my buns, Flynn is just that extra bit special, just like Pringle is to you.

Plus, Pringle and Flynn seem to be so strong and such fighters! Its incredible really!

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow, hope the dental goes well :love::love::love::love:

Thanks Sharon :).
Maybe Pringle and Flynn are brothers ;). You are right about the bond :). He is very special and i do love my other rabbits millions but their is something about Pringle thats different. Im just really worried about him, and hope its not Colic he has :(.

Thanks for the vibes for tomorrow. I`m going to be SOOOO worried xx

Poor Pringle and poor you. I understand the worry, I've been frantic at times. Really hope your bunny is OK. Sending big poo vibes!

Still not great. Just doing some poo's every now and again. He is getting his teeth done tomorrow instead of today. So fingers crossed.
Poo vibes would be greatly appreciated :).

thanks for asking :) xx

IM sorry pringle is having a rough time of things. Will have everything crossed it all goes well for you and will be thinking of you both.
I'll ask alison to give him extra snuggles too

Hope Pringle is OK

Why are buns tums so delicate? My two have had their share of stasis.
Here's hoping Pringle is pooing for England today :)

Last edited:
Everything crossed for Pringle pooping & tomorrows dental.

Goodness you've had a long haul both of you. Well I reckon most of us on this forum love our bunnies to pieces. I'm worried sick when Thumper's lower gut plays up & so are many others with "tummy bunnies".

Marie Kubiac (vet) posted on here within the last few months on an equine grass fever thread in general chat. Her colleague recently found a viral cause for a similar disease in parrots. Basically our rabbits get a virus. The body makes antibodies to attack the virus. Unfortunately the surface of the virus resembles the nerve "ganglia" of the gut. So the rabbit antibodies attack & kill some of these too. She thinks that Thumper has a mild form of this condition, in his lower bowel & reassured me that she has not seen a bunny die from this condition alone.

Regarding your referral to the Royal **** Vetinary Hospital, Edinburgh. I would be surprised if anyone should suggest an open operation on a bunnies abdomen unless it was a last resort to save a bunny's life. Please remember that nothing can be done to Pringle without your permission (consent) & a full explanation of the reasons & risks involved. You can refuse anything you think would be too stressful for Pringle, or is too risky.

All the best tomorrow - a smooth dental & rapid recovery for Pringle.
Judy & Thumper.

Oh dear the correct name for the Edinbugh Vet hospital got :censored:
It's Never been called the Royal Richard ...

I agree with Thumps re. the open abdo surgery - this should always be the last resort for an acute obstruction type gastro issue.
As far as I was aware....a rabbits stomach 'should' feel doughy when normal....that this is wrong is something that non-rabbit savy vets often say :?...a hard distended abdomen is not a good sign. When my buns tums feel doughy I know they are ok!
I'm so sorry you and your bun are having such a difficult time of it all. Can i just ask a really basic question....re. your buns recurrent stasis - how much fibre does your bun get? hay/grass? He sounds like he has recurrent ileus that is not being adequately managed - it can persist and come back - now whether or not this is partly neurological as Thumps says, or dietary or stress related I don't know... I think increasing his fibre consumption if you can will help both his teeth and his gut motility. I expect pain from his teeth is also causing his guts to slow down.
Good luck with the dental. :)

Back