• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molting

sarahjayne

Young Bun
I have 2 rabbits ginger and sooty both outdoor bunnies..prob is sooty is molting like no tomorrow..i am off too buy him a brush today to try and get rid of all the old hair so he don't eat is:D..was wondering why hes doing it a lot ? ginger never does but she is a diffrent type of bunny.. i was thinking the weather has been up and down in temp so hes confused weather he needs to keep warm etc ?? could it be anything to worry about ??

I have 2 rabbits ginger and sooty both outdoor bunnies..prob is sooty is molting like no tomorrow..i am off too buy him a brush today to try and get rid of all the old hair so he don't eat is:D..was wondering why hes doing it a lot ? ginger never does but she is a diffrent type of bunny.. i was thinking the weather has been up and down in temp so hes confused weather he needs to keep warm etc ?? could it be anything to worry about ??

No all rabbits moult, some more than others. The hot weather we had in June has sparked most people's bunnies into a very large moult this summer. Rabbits will have atleast 4 large moults per year. House rabbits can moult continuously due to constant temperatures. It is light and temperature controlled as a trigger. But this summer there was a sudden wave of hot temperature and this seems to have triggered a delayed moult in July for most people's buns...well certainly mine as well! You need to brush both your rabbits daily - as if they are bonded they will groom each other and could ingest the other's fur...rabbits are designed to cope with and pass a certain amount of fur....but too much can cause an obstruction/impaction.

Funny that, I was about to post a thread for exactly the same thing. My Penny has been moulting too. She has clumps of fur coming off her rear end. She has thick fur and there are no bold patches or soreness on the skin so I'm not overly concerned but I've never seen moulting like this.

Glad its not just me Simon:D

Well i am off too get ready and buy the brush and they new hutch:D
when i get home i give Sooty a good brush lucky for me he loves been cuddld and stroked then i see how he is in a few days..Ginger might be a nightmare to brush as she hates been touched but will try:D

Thanks, glad it was only a brush she needed. Penny's always in the vets. look at what came off her though.
IMG_0614.jpg

Good look with the hutch:)

Thanks, glad it was only a brush she needed. Penny's always in the vets. look at what came off her though.
IMG_0614.jpg

We take about that amount off our girl DAILY when she is moulting!!!! :shock::lol: (She's semi-long coated)

Now I know I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I don't want the others having to digest all that!

IMG_0614.jpg

oh quite a bit..least its off now:D

i got a brush and done both of mine :D

and got my new hutch and its all going well and loads of grooming so good job i brushed them both:love:

Back