• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jess again.-u/d post 11.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Jess is doing really well, considering the size of her abscess. She has started to eat well and is pooping lots, small but many.
I was wondering though about the pus coming out of the hole, it has changed from thick cheesy consistancy to a thinner, creamy consistency, is this good, does anybody know if it means we are controling the infection.
There still seems to be lots coming out and that is over a week now and I am flushing/massaging it twice a day.
She is much brighter and loves the baby food and porridge, and she has even started to eat broken up hay cookies, so I am hopeful, but at the same time it is so big I wonder if I am fighting a losing battle.:(

Last edited:
This did happen to Nessa's facial abcesses regularly but eventually they always came back within weeks and the process started all over again :? We chose not to operate on her for various reasons but she ended up having 5 months longer than anyone expected :)

Personally my view of dental abscess is to treat them for as long as possible and keep the bunny comfortable but eventually they always win. The bunny may have weeks or months ahead of them but the cause is usually so difficult to remove ie tooth roots and the infection so often spreads to the bone that I feel it is more a case of management rather than cure, even if they have months abscess free ultimately they always seem to return :?

Sorry if I have missed this on previous threads, what is the cause of Jess's abscess, did the x-rays show it was tooth roots?

This did happen to Nessa's facial abcesses regularly but eventually they always came back within weeks and the process started all over again :? We chose not to operate on her for various reasons but she ended up having 5 months longer than anyone expected :)

Personally my view of dental abscess is to treat them for as long as possible and keep the bunny comfortable but eventually they always win. The bunny may have weeks or months ahead of them but the cause is usually so difficult to remove ie tooth roots and the infection so often spreads to the bone that I feel it is more a case of management rather than cure, even if they have months abscess free ultimately they always seem to return :?

Sorry if I have missed this on previous threads, what is the cause of Jess's abscess, did the x-rays show it was tooth roots?

The x-rays showed no tooth root problems or any bone involvment. However before we took her on she lost an eye to an abscess and after having her incisors removed she has had another 2 abscesses in her mouth. So I suspect you are right and it is going to be an ongoing problem. Still you know me and I live in hope, she is bright within herself and a real fighter.
I would like to put her back in with her friends, but with the flies being so active, I prefer her in the house where I can keep a proper eye on her.
Thanks for replying anyway, have got manuka honey factot 25+ and she is loving the Ella's kitchen baby food, so we may have her for a bit longer.
I'm greedy, a year ago the vets thought she was finished and she's still here, so of course I expect miracles.:(

Sounds like it will be an on going problem :( It's good that there is no tooth root involvement but it seems like even if these ones heal then others are likely to appear else where given her history :? Hopefully she will have a good amount of time ahead of her yet, especially as she seems to be coping well with the treatment :)

I guess it will just be up to you to decide when enough is enough and when she has had enough future operations on them. Like I said before even without surgery Nessa had 5 extra months purely through pain relief and keeping her as clean as possible and hers had bone and tooth root involvement so even when it is too much to put Jess through more ops she may still have a relatively large amount of time ahead of her :)

Sounds like it will be an on going problem :( It's good that there is no tooth root involvement but it seems like even if these ones heal then others are likely to appear else where given her history :? Hopefully she will have a good amount of time ahead of her yet, especially as she seems to be coping well with the treatment :)

I guess it will just be up to you to decide when enough is enough and when she has had enough future operations on them. Like I said before even without surgery Nessa had 5 extra months purely through pain relief and keeping her as clean as possible and hers had bone and tooth root involvement so even when it is too much to put Jess through more ops she may still have a relatively large amount of time ahead of her :)

Thanks, I hope so, I think my biggest problem is knowing when to give in, usually the vets say enough is enough, and I'm lucky in that they will say it when needed.
I'm not good at giving up.:?

With Nessa we decided to let her go sooner rather than later, she was bright and eating but the vet thought she was in considerable pain despite pain relief and it was also starting to affect her breathing :( As we knew she would only deteriorate from that point we made the difficult decision to let her go with dignity earlier rather than waiting for her to get to the point where she was suffering so much she couldn't eat etc. It was very difficult to do at the time, but looking back we feel we made the right decision for her.

But that was just our personal choice for that particular bunny and every bunny is different

With Nessa we decided to let her go sooner rather than later, she was bright and eating but the vet thought she was in considerable pain despite pain relief and it was also starting to affect her breathing :( As we knew she would only deteriorate from that point we made the difficult decision to let her go with dignity earlier rather than waiting for her to get to the point where she was suffering so much she couldn't eat etc. It was very difficult to do at the time, but looking back we feel we made the right decision for her.

But that was just our personal choice for that particular bunny and every bunny is different

I hope I have the strength to do the same thing, and the foresight.

I hope I have the strength to do the same thing, and the foresight.

I must admit it is the hardest thing in the world to do at the time, but every time we have done it this way we have looked back after the event and felt "happy" that we did the right think. On the occssions where we have left it that little bit longer than may be we should have I have always worried afterwards that they suffered too much. So now when it has to be done I try to tell myself we are doing the right thing because when we can look back it will feel right, but it does feel truly terrible at the time :(

i hope that makes sense :?

A wee update on Jess, there was a lot less pus out of her wound today and I'm wondering if it is the manuka honey staring to work. I did get a big solid chunk of pus out last night, it felt like it was attached to something initially, but over the course of a few days I got it out.
She is eating quite well and seems brighter, although i think she misses her friends.:(

The one thing that has me a bit worried is the dewlap around the abscess, while flushing it and applying the honey, it runs down her neck towards her ear- she lies quietly on her back while I do the needful. She is a lionhead, so it is hard to dry and looks a bit red. Should I clip the fur off, apply any kind of cream, or just leave it and worry when everything else is resolved, its not sore i'm just worried it might go that way.

A wee update on Jess, there was a lot less pus out of her wound today and I'm wondering if it is the manuka honey staring to work. I did get a big solid chunk of pus out last night, it felt like it was attached to something initially, but over the course of a few days I got it out.
She is eating quite well and seems brighter, although i think she misses her friends.:(

The one thing that has me a bit worried is the dewlap around the abscess, while flushing it and applying the honey, it runs down her neck towards her ear- she lies quietly on her back while I do the needful. She is a lionhead, so it is hard to dry and looks a bit red. Should I clip the fur off, apply any kind of cream, or just leave it and worry when everything else is resolved, its not sore i'm just worried it might go that way.

I probably would use a barrier cream on the red area.
Sending vibes for poor Jess

xx

Back