• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping shed floors clean!

dayle_x

Mama Doe
How on earth do you do it?! I have lino down, and the base of an indoor cage as a litter tray, but they like to go to the toilet in all four corners of the shed and it kind of leaks under the lino!!
Also, when it rains they go outside then come back in with wet paws then all the lino is wet!
I can't keep it clean or dry.. help?!

I put lino down with newspaper on the top. That way the wet gets absorbed in the news paper and i can roll it up and throw it out. I also just mop the lino when they wee. But to be honest my lot are extremly good at wee'ing in their trays so i dont really have that problem :?.
What lino do you have is it tiles? or a roll? as if you cut the right size out of a roll you could just seal it round the edges so it doesnt get undeR? just an idea :)

Can you turn up the corners of the lino?? Or get a larger piece so the lino is turned up all round the shed???

We put down the lino then nailed batons a bit like a skirting board all round the shed over the lino, so it's sealed down. Seems to work. I put litter trays where thy like to go, and Megazorb is good stuff too.

Yep, I'd recommend batons around the edge - you can get various styles. Treat them with preservative or varnish. For an added seal run bathroom sealant around the join.

I didn't want to fix the lino down as i want to be able to roll it up and replace when needs be, incase the lino soaks the wee in.. or will it not do that?
They would just rip the newspaper up and anything else i put on the floor they would just dig out of the door (tried putting that cardboard square stuff down before)
if the lino doesn't soak up wee i will put batons around the edge and seal it
thanks xx

Lino shouldn't soak up wee as it's got a plastic like surface, hence it's used in kitchens/bathrooms. If the lino does get warn from scratches etc. I think you'd be looking at a couple of years before it needs replacement minimum. Batons are usually fixed with small nails so fairly easy to lever up again and replace.

Oh dear. Sounds a lot of hard work. (hugs) I don't have that problem thankfully- he poos in his tray and on the floor but only wees in the garden or in the tray.

I have 5 buns, 3 girls and 2 boys. The girls are really good at using their litter trays but the boys haven't got a piddling clue :roll: Our days are spent constantly mopping up wee and although the lino is now stained it is still wee proof. I would suggest battoning the lino down to prevent any seepage underneath the edges.

Unfortunately we can't do that as our shed is built onto a concrete base and foundation but thankfully the buns have only nibbled slightly at some edges. They are far more interested in chewing the wood to the door and window frames and the shelving to be bothered with the lino at the moment :roll:

Unfortunately we can't do that as our shed is built onto a concrete base and foundation but thankfully the buns have only nibbled slightly at some edges. They are far more interested in chewing the wood to the door and window frames and the shelving to be bothered with the lino at the moment :roll:

You could attach batons to the shed sides. Or just seal the concret and then you won't need lino :)

Our kids hardly ever wreck their shed :? Mind you, i do sweep it twice a day, and of a morning i clean all the floor with the cage cleaning spray. Ronnie and Lolly are both litter trained though so its much easier.

I have 1x1" wood round the edges of our shed, we lay the lino first, then put the batons of wood round. They are only in with tacks, so if need be will come up when the lino needs replacing.

The wee will soak into the bottom of the lino if the buns are weeing in the corners and its getting under :? I know this because it happens in our hutches. The bottom of the lino ends up soaked in wee if its not fitted right xXx

Back