• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss Of Weight and apetite - any ideas?

MoBunny

Warren Scout
Hi,

I I've just looked after a pair of bunnies which use to be foster bunnies about a year ago whilst the owners were on holiday.

The female who is a bout 3 years old ( Netherland) I noticed had lost quite a lot of weight and was picking at her food. She also seemed more nervous and was walking on her hind leg toes.

Upon their return I mentioned my concerns to the owners and they said she had her vaccinations a month ago and mentioned the weight loss to the vet and he said she was fine. They were glad that I had noticed it and agreed and said they would make an appointment for Monday to see the vet.

She is just not right but we can't put our finger on what is wrong any Ideas?

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated, it always helps to have as much info when you go to the vets. What test do you thing they should do?

Thanks in advance

Maureen

I assume a Vet has checked her teeth ?
Nethies are particularly prone to Dental problems.

With regards to her odd gait has she been checked for injury/arthritis ?

What is her faecal output like and is she drinking a normal amount ?

Hi Jane,

He checked her teeth when they went for their vaccinations, her poos are small I guess because of her reduced apetite.

Drinking seems normal but I will get them to check it before they go and will mention arthritis etc.

What test do you think they should do ?

maureen

Hi Jane,

He checked her teeth when they went for their vaccinations, her poos are small I guess because of her reduced apetite.

Drinking seems normal but I will get them to check it before they go and will mention arthritis etc.

What test do you think they should do ?

maureen

Is she eating lots of hay ? If not I really would not rule out Dental problems.

If her odd gait is more to do with hind leg weakness rather than pain then certainly that combined with weightloss makes me think EC. Has she had a 28 day course of Panacur. If not it would be a good idea to do so and any in contact Rabbits will also need treating.

Given her symptoms I would ensure that you bleach clean any environment she has had access to. *If* EC were to be involved then EC spores, which are shed in the urine, can remain viable outside of the host for up to 30 days. A 10% bleach solution and then a rinsing with boiling water is about the only thing I know of to eradicate excreted EC spores.

If the owners do Panacur her and any in contact Rabbits they need to be vigilant re hygeine and make sure no food can be contaminated by urine. A Bleach clean of their accomodation should be done without fail on days 21 and 28 of treatment.

Its really hard to give advice as her symptoms could fit with so many things.
I am assuming she is a spayed Doe?

I would suggest the Bun is seen by a Vet again ASAP.

Hi,

Thanks jane I told them to get some Panacur which they did today and are treating both bunnies.

They have an apointment for Monday with the vet.

Thanks

Maureen

Back