• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland Dwarfs

tell me about them! I've fallen in love again, with another pet shop bunny. I've always alweays wanted another nethie since I had a fab one about 15 years ago. And I have fallen in love with one in a local pet shop. It a pretty good pet shop, they gave me some sound advice (which I already knew, but still, its a good sign right?) and have agreed to keep him for me till Tuesday as I;'m moving house Sunday/Monday. I'm just a bit disappointed in myself as i SWORE the next bun would be a rescue.

Anyway, Nethies? I've heard tales of them being highly strung etc but I'd love to hear first hand accounts. Anything I should look out for that is different to an english spot x lionhead?

Also my lionhead corss bunny wont be getting spayed till the end of this month, due to the move etc, obviously they wont have any contact till its safe, but is there anything I need to be aware of having them, in separate cages, but close proximity?

Mine is a little pocket rocket :D She is never still for more than a nano second, doesn't like to be picked up (like most rabbits) but, if on the miraculous occasion we do catch her she wriggles so much in your arms that it really wasn't worth the bother.

She is the smallest (and youngest) bun in a bonding of 5 but you would think she was the boss and doesn't stand any nonsense from any of the others. She is also the first every morning to be on the top shelf looking out the window waiting for breakfast. She came through her spay as if nothing had happened - a real little toughie.....and we love her to bits :love:

Oooh I get a hot flush whenever I see those cute ickle nethie faces :love:

Especially Bobble and Button :love:

Little man syndrome describes them perfectly!!

I have 7 here, all looking for homes. They will all be vaccinated and neutered, and are all rescue buns ;)

Here they are:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=190625him he might have ended up in a rescue" Prob not true, but I'm pretty sur

Arghh!! the guilt is horrendous now! My other bunny is a pets at home bunny, bought by accident after I swore i wasnt having another one :S and I swore that I would make good by having a rescue bunny, but I just fell in love with him! I'm prob lying to myself, but I'm going for the "if i hadnt bought him he might have ended up in a rescue anyway"

Either way, he'll have a better life with me as a house bunny and a husbun to Philly Foo than he would have done if he'd been bought from the pet shop as a pet for kids to live in a hutch at the bottom of the garden :S

Last edited:
Arghh!! the guilt is horrendous now! My other bunny is a pets at home bunny, bought by accident after I swore i wasnt having another one :S and I swore that I would make good by having a rescue bunny, but I just fell in love with him! I'm prob lying to myself, but I'm going for the "if i hadnt bought him he might have ended up in a rescue anyway"

Either way, he'll have a better life with me as a house bunny and a husbun to Philly Foo than he would have done if he'd been bought from the pet shop as a pet for kids to live in a hutch at the bottom of the garden :S

Where he comes from aside... one think I never advise people to do is to take a rabbit on on the pretence that it will bond with the existing rabbit!

Bonding holds no guarantees, and although a bond may work between them, there's also a chance that it won't, in which case you should be prepared to be able to keep two bun seperately :).

This is another reason why a rescue bun would be best in a situation like this, because if a bonding fails that particular rabbit has rescue back up and always has a place to go to.

If you can house two rabbits seperately please just ignore all I have said :lol:

I can house 2 buns separately, I'd rather not but i can if needs be :) However I forsee no problems. I brought Philly down from MK to North Yorks, afetr 4 months of being a house rabbit, and she had to stay outside in a cage. My sister has a bunny, nearly 5 months old so too young to be spayed. I kept Philly locked up, well locked up in a cage with a run, but it was locked up as my sisters bun free ranges for c18hours a day.

I let Philly out after they started snuggling through the cage. And there was no issue at all. 2 mins of circling and humping, face humping though, lol. The idea was after the 2 buns had been together that I would take both with me. But although they dont fight or hump anymore thay dont spend anytime together AT ALL! So it seems best that we get male buns to be husbuns to them. Hence why when Philly is neutered I really dont forsee any probs!

Philly is very placid, and having read the horror stories on here I would rather bond her with a male as that seems to work better long term?

We have lots of male nethies looking for a home ;) There seems to be a mad influx of nethies in all the rescues lately :(

xXx

aww nethies! i had one when i was younger, he was a right grumpy thing when in his hutch, he was so territorial he used to fight and everything when i came to get him out, and he would growl! (i don't think neutering was really done on rabbits then, about 12 years ago - well it was never mentioned to me anyway) but once he was prised out of his hutch he was the lovliest little bunny! and he was quite cuddly too.

I saw a really cute little neathie at a local pet shop yesterday, i wanted to take it away and bring it home, if it wasn't for my boyfriend saying no more bunnies ( i only have one, i don't know how he can justify no more bunnies) i probably would have done, the meanie!

I would imagine that a lot of Nethies end up in rescue as they are bought as pets for children due to their tiny size.

We had Tinkerbell as a baby and although she would tolerate being picked up, she never liked it much! Being so small they are very wriggly and it would be very easy for a child to get scratched or kicked. They then get scared of the rabbit and the poor thing ends up in rescue :(

I found Tinkerbell to be a wonderful rabbit. She never, ever chewed anything in the house and loved bombing around both the house and the garden, she had so much energy!

I think they are gorgeous :D

Heres my Nethie, Rimmi.

100_0811-1.jpg

Hes a toad, full of affection and cheekiness, he happily roams around the livingroom/kitchen, eats my books, steals food and jumps on my laptop changing all the settings. He also likes to sit on my shoulder grooming my head and has even licked my OHs feet (must have confused them for those cheese treats he likes) He can be a bit grumpy, grumping and moaning if you mess around with his cage while he is in there and loves nothing more that running around the room like a nutter, causing a mess, pulling stunts and binkies and using me and my OH as things to jump on and off.

Hes awesome but every bun is different!

(and dont mention pets at home, theyre useless, they havent got a clue... Id never buy an animal from there... its just making the cruel breeders richer and making them need to get more.... sorry... I dislike pet shops!!)

100_0813-1.jpg

100_0794.jpg

100_0808.jpg

We have nethies in too and Lou would do the bonding for you just depends on whereabouts you are!

Back