• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Health advice please

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
I noticed a few days ago that my white bunny tinks had some yellow staining around her bottom area, shes always been a very clean bunny and i assumed it was my fault for being slightly lapse on changing the litter tray everyday, so i gave her bottom a brush out and did the littler tray. However today she has got another wet bottom :( she lives with my other three and they don't have it. I just gave her bottom area a brush and 2 big areas like 50p pieces the fur just came out and left big bald patches! :( Ive looked through her fur and she definitley has mites or fleas :( I feel terrible, going to take her to the vets but does anyone have any ideas? I am very worried.

I noticed a few days ago that my white bunny tinks had some yellow staining around her bottom area, shes always been a very clean bunny and i assumed it was my fault for being slightly lapse on changing the litter tray everyday, so i gave her bottom a brush out and did the littler tray. However today she has got another wet bottom :( she lives with my other three and they don't have it. I just gave her bottom area a brush and 2 big areas like 50p pieces the fur just came out and left big bald patches! :( Ive looked through her fur and she definitley has mites or fleas :( I feel terrible, going to take her to the vets but does anyone have any ideas? I am very worried.

She could have a UTI or bladder/renal infection making her incontinent or causing her to dribble, she could equally have 'movement issues' for a number of different reasons causing her to pee on herself.
If she has an infection her immune system will be suppressed a little and this can cause particularly fur mite populations to breed out of control....cheyletiella mites, these can cause fur loss and dandruff - however, urine scald alone can cause fur loss.
She will need a thorough examination, and probably a urine sample, possibly antibiotics, screening or treating anyway for EC and if she does have fur mites then a course of Ivermectin either in drop or injectable form - these are the only two forms I would advise. Xeno 450 is Ivermectin drops, but your vet may decide to inject instead. If she has a UTI she may also need pain relief....same for EC. Good luck at the vets...sooner rather than later! :)
Treatment for EC is a 28 day course (minimum) of fenbendazole (sp?) in the form of Panacur or Lapizole.....Panacur is the normal treatment, alongside a course of NSAID if she has an active infection.

Back