• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female mounting - help please

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I got my two foster girls yesterday. They are very frightened little things, they spent last night in a hutch. When i tried to get them into a run today they went nuts and sliced my hands up (lots of blood :shock:), so i figured if they are left out in a hutch they will take longer to tame. I have set up a home indoors for them so they can have lots of time with people.

Since bringing them in here i have noticed one girl is constantly growing and mounting the other, luckily the other girl is very submissive. I am guessing she is used to it. I am assuming that this is happening because of the all the change, and the girl is saying shes still dominant. Is this something to worry about? If it is doesn't stop after so long, should they be split? They've been together their entire lives (9 months) and don't seem to be fighting or have any wounds or scars.

And Yes they are both female, i did check!

Certainly the new environment may well have triggered things.

Could either of them be pregnant ?

Can you get them spayed ?

The dominance mounting may become an issue if the other Bun gets fed up and has a go at the Bun mounting her. It is also a very stressful situation for both Rabbits to be in. Being able to smell other Rabbits around will also make dominance mounting worse.

To my knowledge these girls haven't been anywhere near males since they left the rest of the litter from their first home as babies, so i don't believe they could be pregnant. But then you can't always believe that other people tell you where animals are concerned.

They will be getting spayed at some point soon, which will hopefully stop the mounting completely.

if one is mounting the other i would put a carrier or something in the cage so the one being humped can escape to somewhere.

Alvin is a terrible humper :roll: and rather than fight Pearl will run up onto the carrier, Alvin then looks abit annoyed but the situation is over phewwww.. i really think if Pearl didnt have a bolt hole there would be a serious fight once she gets annoyed at the constant humping :shock:

I'm starting to doubt whether keeping these girls together is a good idea, they've spent the entire afternoon thumping, grunting and mounting :?

There's been no actual fighting but i am scared there will be, i can't watch them 24/7

Similar to Donnamt's idea but I would provide plenty of wide tunnels and boxes so that one can get away from the other and scatter food as a distraction. I would also book them in for spaying asap :)

Audrey humps Monty at least once a day:shock: he just throws her off him then runs to their cage:lol:
I agree with Donna's idea of a bolt hole for the other one to run to which may help. but it is early days with them and there's still time to settle in.
good luck
xx

Back