• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Family Group

Eve1

New Kit
Hi All
I am really hoping that someone can help me with my family of rabbits, I have checked out books and the internet but there isn't much info on keeping family groups of rabbits together.
In jan this year I got a 8 week old boy rabbit (squimmy) and then about a month later I got him a friend (daisy) before I had a chance to get them both sorted out at the vets, daisy was pregnant, she went on to have five fit and healthy baby boys, daisy let us watch her give birth, we even filmed it, and then she shared looking after the babies with me. The babies are now 14 weeks old and we are going to keep them all, and up to about a week ago all the babies were living together quite happily(daisy and squimmy are in separate cages), while my husband builds a big cage and run.
But about a week ago the babies started to fight and chase each other, I found drops of blood, although I could not find any injuries on any of them,
each evening all 7 rabbits have a run in the garden for a couple of hours and they normally all got on fine, but now there grunting at each other and banging into each other, the babies also try to mount their mother all the time. So now I have 6 indoor cages in my consevatory and all the rabbits are kept separate( apart from 2 of the babies who are ok together (so far).
The five babies are going to be castrated next thursday and friday (the mum and dad are already done) and so now to my question.(at last I can hear you saying)
Do you think once they are all castrated I will be able to reintroduce them to each other and they will be able to live together, my husband has built a fantastic hutch and run, and I want all the babies to live there. Sqimmy and daisy will have their own hutch, but I also want them to be able to exercise with the babies too. All the rabbits have lovely natures and the babies are so friendly and easy to handle, but with each other they are getting so aggresive and violent. Any advice any one has will be greatly appreciated, especially if someone has kept a family of rabbits. Thanks

Back