• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed re. abscesses

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I have recently taken on a rabbit with very few molar teeth and 2 very hard abscesses either side of the mandible. From what I can gather, the abscesses have been there for a while and the rabbit hasn't received any treatment.

He went for an x-ray yesterday, which revealed the worst possible news...that the infection had eaten into the bone causing it to become very brittle, so surgery to remove the abscesses is out of the question.

The vet said that the abscesses have walled off and become inactive, so in her opinion there would be no point using antibiotics now, and it's merely a matter of waiting until he seems unhappy and then having him PTS.

To me, it feels wrong to do nothing...but is there actually anything we could be doing?

Would using antibiotics at this stage be pointless like the vet has said, or could they prevent the abscess getting worse if it becomes active again?

Sorry about all the Qs and thanks in advance :wave:

If the abscess is totally walled off and solid then systemic abx are unlikely to be of any use as they wont be able to get to the core of the infection.
I would think daily analgesia would be the most appropriate palliative care.

Thanks for the reply Jane :)

You basically confirmed what my vet said...still doesn't make me feel better about doing nothing though :(

Vernon is really lively and happy atm, he's not even an old rabbit, but a cr*p diet and lack of vet care means that he has to suffer...very sad and frustrating :cry:

He's going for a check up in a couple of weeks, and if there is no change in the abscess, then I might ask about having him neutered so that he can at least have some company for his remaining time (he's way too randy to pair up with a spayed doe atm). Not sure whether it's advisable or not though :?

Back