• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ANOTHER burns green oat post!

shannon321

Alpha Buck
My bun loves this stuff more than anything else, but its so expensive to order online including postage and im sick of at least half the bag being tiny little bits that have to be thrown away, i contacted burns about it and they said there was nothing the could do down to it being the suppliers problem!

I've had it from all different places so it can't just be a bad batch! :evil:

I've tried her on the other stuff, can't think of the name, the king stuff? and she eats it but not half as much as the burns stuff grrrrgh its so frustrating!

i think you are talking about hay types right? why not try her on fresh meadow hay from a local farm:? my buns love that more than anything x

nope, she's not interested.
Having horse's i have tried her on all types of fresh hays, burns green oat and burns green oat only! lol

I have the same problem - all of my 8 love their oat hat and I regularly get a £30.00 order, but I reckon £10's worth is thrown away cos it is all dust.
I haven't found an alternative oat hay yet either:cry:

Me too...

Have you tried oxbow timothy? I use that as my main hay and treat with burns oat hay (which is always greated with a nom nom nom and every strand disappears instantly)

Still expensive, but not AS bad.

Beau is the same, will only eat oat hay. We did have him on Oat Wheat and Barley Hay, but that was £7.98 a bag, plus £5 postage :shock: so recently we switched to burns, £3.99 a bag, and free postage (got it on Pampered Piggies free postage day) so we got two bags, twice as much hay for half the price :shock: To me, it doesn't seem that expensive, compared to what we were payng before, but I suppose when you compare it to £1 for a kg bag from our local farmer, it's extortionate!!

My two love Burn's green oat hay too so I end up buying loads of bags for them. The last 3 bags i've had have been really good with very little needing to be thrown away, but the ones I had a couple of weeks back seemed to be almost entirely little dusty bits - I reckon only about a third was edible.

I'm going to keep buying it as the buns adore it so much, but I wish it was available in larger/cheaper bags, and was more consistently good quality. It's so frustrating when you open up a bag and find that there isn't much long, stalky hay there :roll:

www.dustfreehay.co.uk all the way for my four. The 'stalky' is amazing stuff and mine all go mental for it. No waste either and at around £4 a sack (including postage), it's great value for money.

The last two bags i have bought had bits in the bottom i still feed it though just put it in there food bowls and they always eat it

I buy around 4 bags of the Burns green oat hay a week :) All our buns love it. I do buy farm hay for litter trays but it never gets eaten :?

I first ordered it from SimplyK9, but they never have any stock, so i have now managed to get a local pet shop to get it in for me :thumb:

Anyway, as said above, i still feed the 'oats' from the bottom of the bag, i just put it in a bowl and they always munch it up! :) I would never stop buying it, the kids would kill me :lol: xXx

im sick of at least half the bag being tiny little bits that have to be thrown away, i contacted burns about it and they said there was nothing the could do down to it being the suppliers problem!

Rubbish! It must be to do with the manufacturing process and the 'crop' quality due to weather of the growing season. I personally think they have set the thresher on the harvester too high and it is chopping it too short - and perhaps the growing season last year caused the hay to be more brittle? I have been meaning to send one of my 'half bags of dust' back to them to complain! I think we all should....I too have to compost half of it - what a waste! It's not great for buns either to be rooting through so much dust. :(
I have bought it this year from 4 different suppliers - same problem each time! I will email them tomorrow and post them a bag back! :lol:

:lol:
Rubbish! It must be to do with the manufacturing process and the 'crop' quality due to weather of the growing season. I personally think they have set the thresher on the harvester too high and it is chopping it too short - and perhaps the growing season last year caused the hay to be more brittle? I have been meaning to send one of my 'half bags of dust' back to them to complain! I think we all should....I too have to compost half of it - what a waste! It's not great for buns either to be rooting through so much dust. :(
I have bought it this year from 4 different suppliers - same problem each time! I will email them tomorrow and post them a bag back! :lol:

I think that's a really good idea, i've kept my end of bag from last time and think i shall send it back to.....i've got a funny image of there office being bombarded with half bags of green oat hay!!:lol:

I have exactly the same problem! I've tried lots of different sorts but the burns green oat is the only hay they are really enthusiastic about. I might try some of the dust free hay stalky stuff to see what they think of that.

Sending back the bags with all the dusty bits in is a good idea!

Back