• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pig Hutch adapted photos (pic heavy)

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I have always had a problem getting the right pig accomodation. This was the last one I bought

Pighutch5ft.jpg

but the pigs wouldn't use the ramp and at the top of the ramp there was no space for them to step off it went straight into the hutch side.

So after much pondering and discussion with my dad we adapted it

Pighutch2.jpg

by adding another ramp and a platform and poitioning the ramo so that the pigs could stwep off into the hutch rather than meet a wall at the top.

It seems to be working as the pigs can now use the ramp

Pighutch3.jpg

Pighutch6.jpg

Pighutch7.jpg

Pighutch8.jpg

Pighutch5.jpg

Pighutch1.jpg

Phutchclosed.jpg

Rabswood

What a good idea! Oscar seems to love the hidey hole it's created underneath the ramp too. :love::love:

That looks really good, i always have trouble with my guinea pig housing too. I wish i could have them more free range like the bunnies. I started with a wooden two tier hutch but had similar probs to you. Now they are indoors in a nic pen together. I wanted something quite open plan for them but with hidey bits too. One of mine just goes in the hidden bit and wont come out though if i put a box in so have had to create a covered bit that he can sit in but not be totally confined init.
Must also post pics.
My two boys argue alot, and i think it was better when i had more together as a sort of herd. Does anyone think if i had another gunea pig they would argue less or would it make matters worse??

That looks really good, i always have trouble with my guinea pig housing too. I wish i could have them more free range like the bunnies. I started with a wooden two tier hutch but had similar probs to you. Now they are indoors in a nic pen together. I wanted something quite open plan for them but with hidey bits too. One of mine just goes in the hidden bit and wont come out though if i put a box in so have had to create a covered bit that he can sit in but not be totally confined init.
Must also post pics.
My two boys argue alot, and i think it was better when i had more together as a sort of herd. Does anyone think if i had another gunea pig they would argue less or would it make matters worse??

My first hutch was one I designed myself, 3 tiered and had a joiner make and although the pigs really like it cleaning out the bottom level was a pain and I designed it to be housed in my shed and it ended up taking up just too much space so it is now being stored in the garage. I then bough a large indoor cage and added a shelf, the pigs lived indoors all winter but I really wanted them outside so I bought them the 5ft hutch in the picture but the pigs didn't like the ramp so then I adapted a 4ft hutch and added a shelf, this was fine but too small for 4 pigs. Then the pigs moved back into the house and lived in a run but I found this just too messy as pigs wee way too much :roll: and finally adapted the 5 ft one in the pics which seems to be OK but cleaning out in bad weather will be a pain.

I don't know if adding another baby boy pig will make things better or worse you might get a 2 against 1 situation. I would probably say just make sure they have lots of space and several hidey holes so that they dont have to bother with each other if the don't want too. Oscar is neutered and lives with the 3 laydees, there is no squabbling but Cous Cous does seem to prefer her own company but she will mix OK with the others. Strawberry (ginger & white) and Oscar see to like each other best.

When they are playing out in the garden they sometimes make me laugh as the 3 girls will often follow Oscar, all in a line :lol: He always finds an escape route out of the run and leads his laydees to freedom. The garden is rabbit proofed so they don't get very far, I think they just want to run around with the rabbits.

That sounds like our house, keep buying new ones and changing them and each time i think i have got it just right then i try again and am convinced new system is best. lol
I love groups of guineas together they are really sweet.
Think i should have got girls and had huge herd lol
Mine are funny now as they have the pen and keep swapping sides, you see them asleep either side then later they have swapped and are asleep in other side.

DSCF4329.jpg

Back