• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur 2.5%

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Just went to give the buns this and got a big fat nooooo...

Came on here for ideas of how to do it (I have a couple that will fight their way out of it so looking for stress free option- will try banana and shredded wheat)

But- also noticed most people seem to be using 10%. I've been given 2.5%- what are the advantages of the 10%. Is it just having to get a smaller volume in them?

Ta :wave:

When my bunny got EC the vet sold me this panacur which is a paste specially for bunnies

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1105

When the tube was finished I tried some of the liquid cos it's cheaper but ended up with most of it on me rather than inside the bunnies. They hated it so much and got so stressed out that we went back to the paste as it really was so much easier and we decided it was worth the extra cost..

They also sell it this rabbit panacur paste in pets at home. It's not a presciption medicine but only the store manager in our local store can sell it and she asked lots of questions and gave good advice about how to administer.

Thanks... do you do the 28day course with the paste?

Sorry, I'm a little bit panacur confused :oops:

Figured that needing to get less in would help, 1.2ml per bun with a 1ml syringe and 4 buns was never going to be easy...

I use the 'dog' strength 10% Panacur liquid. The dose is 0.2ml per kg of bun so I only need 0.7ml for my biggest bunny. I inject the Panacur into a mini shredded wheat and then leave it to dry overnight. Mine won't eat it when the shredded wheat is damp! This is a special treat though, and I cut down their pellets to compensate for the cereal. I've never had any problems administering Panacur this way - it's totally stress free all round (although it does take me ages every evening injecting the Panacur into the shredded wheat - you have to do it slowly or it all oozes straight out:lol::lol:)

Other people have great results making a 'sushi' roll out of the Panacur rabbit paste smeared onto a piece of spring greens and then rolled up to form a sushi roll. My bunnies wouldn't touch it but it's worth a shot.

But then if you have a placid bunny, getting half a ml of liquid into them with a quick squirt from the syringe isn't difficult either. But I generally find that they know what's coming after the second day and life gets more 'interesting'. And yes, you can do the 28 day course with any type of Panacur - just make sure you use the right dose depending on what product you are using.

Best of luck!

Yep I concluded the same about 'after a couple of days it gets interesting' ; 3 weeks of eye drops required a constant re-think of tactics and even then after week 1 I found Pippin was second guessing what was happening and trying to escape it. And she is probably the most placid bunny I have...

Thanks for advice, will get some shredded wheats in!!

Back