• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Kittens?

Pugwinkle

New Kit
I'm getting a very young kitten in two weeks. My two bunnies live in our rec room. They have a large cage made from the NIC squares and a huge playpen attached to the cage. At the moment they are free to come and go from their cage to their playpen, however, from what I'm reading it sounds like I may have to keep the bunnies in their cage while the kitten gets use to the bunnies as I cannot be there to supervise them at all times and there is no way to close of the room so that the kitten can't get in.

The thing with the NIC cage is that it has huge square holes that a kitten could easily stick it's paws through. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can modify the cage in order that the kitten cannot stick it's paws in and harrass the buns?

Also, I would love to hear your experiences with introducing kittens to bunnies.

Cant help, but bumping this up for someone else to maybe help as there are a few folk on here with cats and buns x

I have a kitten and a free range house bun, my kitten was only 5 weeks when I got her so I thought she would easily get used to him. She did and Wilm didn't mind her too much either, even though she would practice stalking him. She would creep up to him then jump at him but just miss him, rather than attack. However, as she grew a little older and more confident she did start to jump on him and for that reason I am very cautious with them. Her claws nd teeth could do lots of damage. The key is to never leave them together unsupervised. I think most people who have cats and rabbits would agree with this.

I have a cat who was a kitten last year and she has been fine with the bunnies I was more concerned about the rabbits damaging her than the other way around (my bunnies are bigger than her). She has never bothered Sugarplum who is very laid back and just ignores her but Splodge was scared of her at first and used to run away from her which of course she thought was a great game! This has settled down now and usually they chase each other :lol: They seem to play together Splodge and the cat are very lively and Sugarplum can't play with him now!

Back