• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

May have ingested matting!

maggyottermad

Warren Scout
I had put matting down in run to protect the rabbits hocks, but noticed today that there were a couple of small holes where it had been chewed.

I cant find these missing pieces, so may have been ingested

I have obviously removed matting and the buns are in the hutch for the night, I will be putting hay and straw down tomorrow instead.

Now I need to know, worked myself up by reading about bloat/stasis...and know that if these pieces have been eaten, it can cause an obstruction...

I have just fed them a piece of cucumber, and they both ate straight away, they are acting normal and tummies feel ok. they have lots of hay for overnight.

Should I be seeing symptoms after 8-12hours if they have ingested some and have got bloat????? would they be eating if they have bloat?

I hope they are okay. I would definetly keep a close eye on them and make sure there is no change in eating habbits. My rabbit has had gut stasis which comes on gradulally over a few days. I usually notice that he eats less and seems much less active and his poos go from being normal to very tiny to none at all. Of couse when I notice this I bring in the greens and load him up with whatever he will eat :D. However if it is bloat, it will happen suddenly and without warning. You will know very soon if they have bloat. The symptoms are similar to stasis, no eating, drinking, or playing. They also come across as depressed too. If this is the case a vet visit is in order since bloat can be fatal. I hope they are gonna be okay, sending you lotsa vibes :)

Onset of symptoms from a GI obstruction are usually very sudden- anorexia, no faecal output, abdominal pain and distension, no gut sounds, bloated stomach, impacted caecum...............

Hopefully your Buns will have managed to pass any matting they may have ingested. I'd keep a close eye on them for the next 48 hours.
Ensure they eat as much hay as possible and try to encourage them to drink.
Most Rabbits will drink more from a bowl than from a bottle.
Exercise stimulates good gut motility too.

xx

ah guys i am doing all these things, giving loads of hay, nice posh hay, cheap long meadow hay and hay cookie this morning.. gave half amount of pellets as i want them to eat more hay.

i have put thick straw in run, the reason i havent wanted to do this is because i live with mum and dad, they werent keen on it - worried it would go everywhere in garden, dont see how as the wire holes are quite small... but after this worry and risk, they dont have any choice but to accept it this morning, mums fine about it.

they seemed bright and alert and definitely eager for breakfast!

gotta go to work now, i'll ask little sister to keep and eye on them.

thanks again

ps- they always have access to water bowl and a bottle

Back