• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I was sent here for help

ckgs

New Kit
I have a 6 week old Holland Lop named Kate. She is a sweet little girl but I am having some problems with her. She has a visit to the vet scheduled for tomorrow and is going to have the whole work up done but we (myself, forum member from other forum, and my vet) think there is a possibility she is incontinent.
She does her business on her self constantly. She is actually yellowed from under her chin all down her back legs. It is as if she doesn't realize she's going. I have done everything with litter training that I have always found to work and it isn't that she isn't catching on (at least I don't believe so) she has NEVER went in the litter box.
I am bathing her around 2-3 times a day now to get all the mess off of her. She drinks ALOT of water and is eating very well but this worries me.
The forum member who referred me here sent me a link to a rabbit that looks/sounds like her situation so much and it really hit home.
He was a mini lop named Austin. She also told me to speak to Liz whom may have some ideas as to what I should/shouldn't do for my lil' girl.
Please respond and I want to thank any and all who reply here in advance. I and Kate both thank you very much.

I have a 6 week old Holland Lop named Kate. She is a sweet little girl but I am having some problems with her. She has a visit to the vet scheduled for tomorrow and is going to have the whole work up done but we (myself, forum member from other forum, and my vet) think there is a possibility she is incontinent.
She does her business on her self constantly. She is actually yellowed from under her chin all down her back legs. It is as if she doesn't realize she's going. I have done everything with litter training that I have always found to work and it isn't that she isn't catching on (at least I don't believe so) she has NEVER went in the litter box.
I am bathing her around 2-3 times a day now to get all the mess off of her. She drinks ALOT of water and is eating very well but this worries me.
The forum member who referred me here sent me a link to a rabbit that looks/sounds like her situation so much and it really hit home.
He was a mini lop named Austin. She also told me to speak to Liz whom may have some ideas as to what I should/shouldn't do for my lil' girl.
Please respond and I want to thank any and all who reply here in advance. I and Kate both thank you very much.

If she is drinking and peeing a lot and is dribbling in that she is incontinent then my first suspicion would be that she has a urinary tract infection. She needs veterinary attention and probably antibiotics if her urine samples show an infection.
I am very concerned that she is only 6 wks of age, rabbits should not really be weaned until 8 wks of age for immunity and emotional reasons. Her immune system is probably under parr and this could make her prone to infection. I would forget the litter training, with baby rabbits it is unpredictable and you need to wait until she is spayed (4-6 months) really to try this as unneutered buns tend to be unreliable.
If she has a UTI she will be unable to urinate properly anyway, she will be in pain and possibly running a temperature as well.
I also would be very cautious about bathing her, particularly if she is unwell, this can send rabbits in to shock. Instead I would use a damp flannel or baby wipes. I hope you can see a vet asap and that she gets better soon. :)
Liz is (Hugo's there)

She was actually gotten for me as a gift from my parents whom meant well after my first bun passed away but honestly, she wouldn't have come home with me. I love her but her age was 5 weeks at the time and I know this is far too young but they didn't, they trusted the 'breeder'.
She seems to be doing okay with everything else. She just messes herself constantly. She doesn't move away when she goes she just sits in it. She will binky on occassion and she isn't grinding her teeth. Her body doesn't feel feverish and she seems happy enough attitude wise although I know they can do a good job of hiding it.
Her vet appt is tomorrow so I'm hoping we can find out something. It just worries me because she is so young.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

He was a mini lop named Austin. She also told me to speak to Liz whom may have some ideas as to what I should/shouldn't do for my lil' girl

Ooh someone has been talking about me else where, how strange :)

Austin did have some incontinence issues but his main problem was passing mucus with his poo which was making him very sore and wet.

Incontinence can also be caused by neurological problems or nerve damage. I would ask your vet about the possibility of EC and would recommend a 28 day course of panacur.

I would keep her coat as short as possible around the wet area to make it easier to clean. Also apply a barrier cream such a sudocreme to stop the skin becoming sore and infected. It should also help reduce the need to constantly bath her. Personally I don't normally bathe a bunny more than once a day as you have to weigh up the benefits of keeping her clean against the stress of constantly bathing her and her being wet.

Another problem might not be incontinence but that she isn't holdong herself in the correct position to urinate therefore weeing on her legs. This could be due to some sort of pain in her spine or legs. It is another possibility that your vet could check out. Metacam will probably help if this is the cause.

I have also had a few buns that are wet underneath due to deformities in their geniltals but this is usually more of an issue with male bunnies.

Good luck at the vets and let us know how you get on:wave:

Last edited:
IMG_2953.jpg

This is Kate, if this works.

what a sweety!

If you are kentucky USA then try Bunspace.com to ask for a rabbit savvy vet in your area.

With a problem like this with such a very young bun you are going to need a very experienced rabbit vet - not just a vet.

Back