• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Penny Pocket not eating pellets but...

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
she is eating other things i.e. veggies.

She is having a ten day course of penicillin at the moment for snuffles (bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria). She is on her eighth day.

Anyway yesterday and today she has turned her nose up at her science selective. I had her in last night to spend some quality time with her and gave her everything to tempt her. She ate loads of dill, spring green, fenugreek crunchies and cloverleaf cookies!

I was relieved! Is she just playing a fast one to get lots of treats?! Or do you think the antibiotics are affecting her taste buds? I don't really know as she can be a naughty bunny! Sometimes I think my paranoia takes over as far as my bun buns are concerned :roll:

she is eating other things i.e. veggies.

She is having a ten day course of penicillin at the moment for snuffles (bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria). She is on her eighth day.

Anyway yesterday and today she has turned her nose up at her science selective. I had her in last night to spend some quality time with her and gave her everything to tempt her. She ate loads of dill, spring green, fenugreek crunchies and cloverleaf cookies!

I was relieved! Is she just playing a fast one to get lots of treats?! Or do you think the antibiotics are affecting her taste buds? I don't really know as she can be a naughty bunny! Sometimes I think my paranoia takes over as far as my bun buns are concerned :roll:

If she is refusing certain foods I would be concerned about her teeth. Are the vets certain that her respiratory infection is not associated with dental issues?
To be honest, pellets are the 'treats' in rabbit world - so I would be thinking why it is she doesn't want them? Is she pooing ok? I'm assuming she is not on oral penicillin? this is not advised in rabbits as far as I was aware....is it actually penicillin or a derivative?

If she is refusing certain foods I would be concerned about her teeth. Are the vets certain that her respiratory infection is not associated with dental issues?
To be honest, pellets are the 'treats' in rabbit world - so I would be thinking why it is she doesn't want them? Is she pooing ok? I'm assuming she is not on oral penicillin? this is not advised in rabbits as far as I was aware....is it actually penicillin or a derivative?

She only had a dental at the beginning of July so it's not her teeth and she has eaten plenty of fenugreek crunchies!

The penicillin is injectable (called noricillin). She is also on probiotics aswell. It is her last dose on Saturday. Just cut them all a load of fresh grass and she has tucked into that.

Poos are fine.

Can't quite work it out? :?

As she is on a high risk abx I would give the Vet a call for advice as going off a particular food can sometimes be an ealy warning sign of gut dysbiosis.

You dont keep Guinea Pigs do you ?

As she is on a high risk abx I would give the Vet a call for advice as going off a particular food can sometimes be an ealy warning sign of gut dysbiosis.

You dont keep Guinea Pigs do you ?

No guinea pigs. What's gut dysbiosis? She is on bio-lapis whilst she is on these antibiotics. Should I syringe some into her to make doubly sure she has them in her system?

Last edited:
No guinea pigs. What's gut dysbiosis? She is on bio-lapis whilst she is on these antibiotics. Should I syringe some into her to make doubly sure she has them in her system?

I would suggest some syringed probiotic with added fibre just to make absolutely certain that her guts are functioning correctly. Fibreplex by Protexin is the one I would choose. It's over the counter from your vet - no prescrip but it does cost about £12 a tube! You can perhaps chat to the vet when you go to collect?

I've got some science recovery food. However, she get's very stressed if I attempt to syringe feed. Tried about half an hour ago with some probiotic but I gave up in the end as she was really stressing out. She is eating grass when I give it to her.

I'm back at the vet's tomorrow anyway for her next injection so I will mention to him then.

I've got some science recovery food. However, she get's very stressed if I attempt to syringe feed. Tried about half an hour ago with some probiotic but I gave up in the end as she was really stressing out. She is eating grass when I give it to her.

I'm back at the vet's tomorrow anyway for her next injection so I will mention to him then.

If she's eating OK everything else then I wouldn't try to force feed her as this will just stress her out. The syringe paste Fibreplex is very tasty - orange flavoured I think - my bun will have your hand off for some so she may take it off the syringe like mine does....in fact I turned round to do something and heard a 'crunching' sound do find he was chewing up the hard plastic cap!!! :shock: I had to stick my fingers to the back of his mouth to get it out! :shock: Gave me a right fright! :lol: So just a warning - never leave the cap on the floor/sofa/chair etc if she likes it. :D
And Good Luck at the vets tomorrow!

If she's eating OK everything else then I wouldn't try to force feed her as this will just stress her out. The syringe paste Fibreplex is very tasty - orange flavoured I think - my bun will have your hand off for some so she may take it off the syringe like mine does....in fact I turned round to do something and heard a 'crunching' sound do find he was chewing up the hard plastic cap!!! :shock: I had to stick my fingers to the back of his mouth to get it out! :shock: Gave me a right fright! :lol: So just a warning - never leave the cap on the floor/sofa/chair etc if she likes it. :D
And Good Luck at the vets tomorrow!

:lol: Thanks for the warning and the advice x

Spoke to my vet this morning who checked her teeth on the off-chance even though she had them done in July. They were absolutely spot on and also felt her tum tum which was normal and full of poops. So I just need to keep my eye on her. Her last injection tomorrow so hopefully her snuffle symptoms will improve and also her appetite will be back to normal. Fingers crossed x

Back