• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

something not right

aislou

New Kit
Hi, we are new to the bunny world and have recently got a dwarf lop bunny, but something does not seem right to me. she is very quiet although she is starting to move around more now, is really boney and has a really small head compared to the rest of her body, also her body is really arched, i have seen loads of pictures of other d lops and they do not look like her,they have much bigger headsand straighter bodies. At eight weeks should she feel really boney. I have two other rabbits that are incredibly different to her, i know they are different breeds but they have never been boney. She does not seem to eat very much either,my others eat all day. Any opinions would be Helpful. thanks:wave:

get the vets to check her teeth dwarfs are prone to teeth problems and this can cause eating discomfort and if left untreated abcesses. also have you changed the food type she was on this can also cause troubles. x

Hi, we are new to the bunny world and have recently got a dwarf lop bunny, but something does not seem right to me. she is very quiet although she is starting to move around more now, is really boney and has a really small head compared to the rest of her body, also her body is really arched, i have seen loads of pictures of other d lops and they do not look like her,they have much bigger headsand straighter bodies. At eight weeks should she feel really boney. I have two other rabbits that are incredibly different to her, i know they are different breeds but they have never been boney. She does not seem to eat very much either,my others eat all day. Any opinions would be Helpful. thanks:wave:

She could be quiet due to being nervous in her new environment and may just need time settling in, however you also say she doesn't eat much which would always give me cause for concern. If she has been weaned too early - before 8wks, then she could be malnourished and therefore rather skeletal to touch. I expect she needs to be checked over by a vet just to be on the safe side, especially regarding her current appetite, and then encouraged to eat, gain weight, and be given time to settle in.
Is she pooing?

she is pooing but not alot, improvement on the behavioural side though as she is really starting to take to my other rabbit she is sharing with, but yes very boney to touch you can feel all her bones

She should not be quiet and should not feel boney. So yes, the vet is your next stop. Re body shape, it could just be her. I had a bunny that had a really small head on a really big body, and although he grew into it a little bit, he never looked like most other lops... it was just him that wasn't proportioned right.

Vera

Back