• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friendly rabbit started biting?

Helenkj

Young Bun
Hi, my lovely 1 year old spayed girl Dolly has all of a sudden started nipping (quite hard!) and for seemingly no reason. When she was a baby she loved being picked up and was a very friendly bun who loved sitting on us. She is now 1 year and was spayed in April and lives with her neutered husbun Sooty. They live mainly in their hutch outside and have run of the whole garden and flat over the weekends and our flat in the evenings. Over the last week she has started biting for no reason - even when I am just sitting on the floor she comes over, climbs on my lap, sniffs round as usual and then bites my leg really hard:cry: Any idea on the sudden change in behaviour? She is still friendly with us and comes over to us etc - dont want to be scared of her!! Thanks :)

As she was only spayed in April, I would try and stick with it as it could still be hormone related.

I would still get her checked over by a vet if she has not had one recently, just to make sure everything is ok

ETA: are you touching or stroking any part of her body when she bites you, could it be related to an injury

Hi, thanks for reply! No, not touching anywhere - she comes over jumps on my lap and then just has a bite! Could it be to do with her teeth do you think - I think I might take them both to have their claws done and teeth checked at the vet. She is still humping her husbun loads so you could be right about the hormones!

She maybe trying to dominate you too. You could try a water spray when she does it to you or even pick her up and put her in her cage for 10mins everytime she does it:D

Could it possibly be for attention? Maybe you are in her way while she's going about her bunny business!:lol:

I agree with Lottielouise - it can take up to 9 months for hormones to drop off - she could be stuck in her mind in 'spring female bunny' mode as the Op was done right in the middle of this highly hormonally charged bunny season. I would just give it a bit more time.

I also agree with Michelleox, it could be for attention, to remind you to keep stroking, to ask you to stop, to ask you to move out of her territory, even though the flat is yours, she could consider it part of hers, it could be any scent/deo you are wearing? certain smells are reminiscent of pheremones....my male bun always bites us when we are wearing deo - I keep him well away from my armpits! :lol: Cos it blimmin' hurts!!:(
There are many things that she could potentially be communicating to you.
This may sound like a terribly intrusive question ....but female buns also respond to human female hormones and if you are perhaps menstrual she may be able to sense this. Does it only happen when she is climbing on your lap?
If she senses you are scared of her she will very quickly learn that her 'biting' has an effect. Rabbits learn by association...she bites, you back away or put her down or whatever it is she is trying to achieve....she bites again....you respond the same way.....she has learnt a new behaviour that works! I would, despite the pain.....ignore it! I would put a thick blanket or jumper on your lap first before she jumps on you....this way when she bites it won't hurt and therefore you won't react....she will hopefully learn that her behaviour has no effect. I would not give it any attention. I would also not confine her to her cage as punishment simply because rabbits use nipping as a means of communication, it is not naughty, it is just inappropriate, you need to avoid the behaviour or anything that triggers it, rather than punish it after the event. She will not understand this....dogs and humans yes... rabbits no. Her cage should also be a pleasant place to be....a reward....not a punishment. I would be wary of her making the wrong associations with her home. Good luck :)

Back