• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD vaccination worries

Candiflare

Mama Doe
My baby rabbit (4 months old) had his VHD vaccination yesterday and has been off for the past 24 hours. He's developed a ridge o fluid filled skin on his neck where the needle was put in, and he looks generally "off" (eyes are a bit dull.) He's not off his food and he's pooing normally.

Is this something to worry about, or do all rabbits get this after being vaccinated?

ive read some scary horror stories on the net about the reactions to to the vaccination, so it can be quite bad :(

Pearl got a few scabs last year (dreading this years one) and they cleared up pretty fast, i was told to bathe her back with salt water by the vet and they did give me bayrtil too to make sure she didnt get any infections so a follow up visit to your vets to get your bunny checked would be a good idea.

hope it clears up soon

Do you know if your bunny had the Cylap vaccine or the Lapinject? The Cylap is notorious for side-effects, my Marley had a horrendous skin burn earlier this year after his.

You need to take your bun back to the vets tomorrow and have them report the reaction to the manufacturers (Forte Dodge if it's Cylap). The manufacturers should pick up the bill for any additional treatment required.

I've just looked on the vaccination card. He had the Cylap. Ugh, typical. I knew I should have checked this out better before I did it. I'll call the vets and let them know.. thanks guys, will keep you updated.

My Flopsie didn't take well to her VHD vac last year. We'll be looking to see how she reacts this year and make decisions after that, she'd had a nasty fall off the table too that day which wouldn't have helped.

If you talk about it with your vet, they might be able to offer you some options :)

I've just looked on the vaccination card. He had the Cylap. Ugh, typical. I knew I should have checked this out better before I did it. I'll call the vets and let them know.. thanks guys, will keep you updated.

Sorry your bun is not well. I hope he soon feels better.
Would you mind doing us all a favour and asking your vet to report the injection reaction to the manufacturers please?

Yes I will definitely report it today. He seems a bit more chipper this morning but still has that fluid-filled sack on his neck. Poor bun.

Well I went to the vets this morning to show them the fluid on Ralphy's neck and they were really shocked! They said it was the first time they'd seen it on a bun after the Cylap VHD injection. They've reported it now to the manufacturer and we'll see where we go from here. Ralphy is okay, but it's obviously too inflamed for him to turn round and groom himself, because he keeps going to groom, turning his head a little bit, and then changing his mind.

Im taking Havana this morning for her VHD think they use Cylap...

I'll mention this to my vet, I used to work at the practice im going to, and never experienced this mentioned reaction...is it not something that can be caused by the way it is injected?

Im taking Havana this morning for her VHD think they use Cylap...

I'll mention this to my vet, I used to work at the practice im going to, and never experienced this mentioned reaction...is it not something that can be caused by the way it is injected?

It is partially down to injection technique but mainly due to the vaccine's high irritation potential. If the Cylap gets into the upper layers of the skin then it causes necrosis and the scabbing/burn-like lesions. Drawing the vaccine up and then changing the needle to a fresh one means that on the way in the upper layers aren't contaminated. However it is difficult to 100% prevent any contamination when the now dirty needle is being removed from the skin as it can pull a little vaccine with it. The side effects of limping and feeling lethargic are separate though and can occur however the vaccine is given.
I have not seen a high number of reactors but even so felt this wasn't the best vaccine and since changing to Lapinject I have had none so feel a lot happier with this vaccine.

It is partially down to injection technique but mainly due to the vaccine's high irritation potential. If the Cylap gets into the upper layers of the skin then it causes necrosis and the scabbing/burn-like lesions. Drawing the vaccine up and then changing the needle to a fresh one means that on the way in the upper layers aren't contaminated. However it is difficult to 100% prevent any contamination when the now dirty needle is being removed from the skin as it can pull a little vaccine with it. The side effects of limping and feeling lethargic are separate though and can occur however the vaccine is given.
I have not seen a high number of reactors but even so felt this wasn't the best vaccine and since changing to Lapinject I have had none so feel a lot happier with this vaccine.

thankyou that explains a lot. so sometimes the reaction can be avoided or lessened by making sure the needle is changed that is interesting to know. i have always thought id been very lucky that none of my rabbits gota reaction previously, but prehaps this was partially due to the vet technique. my vets have also since changed to lapinject. thanks its always good to get a vet opinion. x

aww your poor bunny.

Ruby didnt have any reactions to Cylap, i only noticed a few weeks ago that this is the one they used, as i checked the vet card, she was fine.

Marie - ive just come back from vets, bunny was a wriggler, and vet pierced through skin and the vaccine came out over skin, ie. not sub cut. So then as some had been wasted, she topped up syringe and injected again, this time fine.

Will this increase her chances of having a bad reaction alot more now?!

Thanks

Marie - ive just come back from vets, bunny was a wriggler, and vet pierced through skin and the vaccine came out over skin, ie. not sub cut. So then as some had been wasted, she topped up syringe and injected again, this time fine.

Will this increase her chances of having a bad reaction alot more now?!

Thanks

It will increase her risk of skin reaction so keep a close eye on that area - if she develops sores (interestingly not all rabbits do) then take her back to your vets as she may need pain relief and antibiotic cover depending on severity. It won't affect the more serious limp/general quietness type of reactions.

Back