• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meg... Not a tumour but internal injury ????

mich8

Alpha Buck
First of all, Thank you to everyone on here who has read and posted on Meg's thread.
Secondly, This is so difficult to be writing so soon after loosing Meg this afternoon, but If it helps another rabbit at anytime, then it is worth it.

When the vets Xrayed Meg this morning it showed a solid mass and lots of smaller shadows in the intestines.
The only option was to open her up and try and find out what it all was.
Well it was not good at all.
Meg had a rupture in the intestine wall and also peritonitis. The small shadows were the peritonitis. The large mass was food.

So it looks like Meg has either been really kicked by the rabbit she lives with (would not have thought so, but I suppose I will never know). Or she has sustained an injury some other way. like jumping and landing on something.
Whatever it was that happened caused a rupture of the intestine and the food was leaking through the rupture into her.

My vet said he had never seen anything like it and he said they had all learnt something today.
I am just shocked as I have no idea how the hell this could have happened. I have checked all the rabbits enclosures and avaries and I have drawn a blank as to what the hell Meg could have done. There is nothing she could have fallen from. They have tunnels and low stools, but nothing else.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

maybe she just had a weak intestine wall and there was no cause. im so gutted for you i really thought theyd make her better :cry::cry:

I'm so very sorry about Meg,i really feel for you:(

It's really good of you to post the details of what happened and your thinking of others when you have just lost. Thanks very thoughtful.

Thinking of you x

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, and think it's really thoughtful(and brave!) of you to put up the post so quickly. Is it possible that she may have had something like an aneurism. I know these occurs in arteries, but wonder if the same sort of thing can happen with the intestinal tract. Thinking of you.

I guess we will never reallly know what happened to Meg.
Like I say, we have been and checked everything in the enclosures and avaries and there is nothing that could cause this sort of injury. There is nothing she could have fallen from etc.

I am heartbroken at loosing Meg, But if anyones bun takes a fall... Please be aware that it can cause injuries that you can't see.

Thank you for such consideration & bravery in telling us the reason for Meg's illness. I am so very sorry that something as rare as this should have happened.

No the gut does not get aneurisms like an artery. The artery wall is 1st. weakened, usually by cholesterol. This does not happen in the gut.

Very sorry for your loss of meg. I know when you went to the emergency vet they were pants but did they check for a blockage food or otherwise? I have heard that if there is a blockage giving metaclop can cause ruptures of the intestine as it makes the intestinal walls contract as if moving food along and if the blockage is hard and unmovable then it can cause damage to the walls.

Either way completely not your fault. It's either shoddy vet or complete accident/fluke of nature so try not to think on it too much, just remeber the good times that you had with her.

ps. yes your guts can have an anurism of sorts.....it's called a hernia! I don't know if bunnies can get them I imagine so.

Back