• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucy aint a porker anymore!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Some of you may remember that last time Lucy went to the vets she was overweight:oops::oops: I must admit cos she loves her food so much I did give her titbits and nibbles but I have cut them out, changed her on to SS and been very strict on how many she has and fed the buns separately.

She got a big thumbs up today from the vet who seemed quite taken with her:) She is in fab condition - thank you for the advice I was given on here:D

I will do - you cant tell tho! :lol: She is snuggled up with Lola (who is all puffed up like a puffball):lol: The vet was one I used to work with the Leeds RSPCA about 8 years ago and Lucy took a shine to him and was putty in his hands! Trollop!:lol:

pix please! :D

as well as admiring lucy, i want to see the 'right' build for a rabbit - i'm sure my tabby has put on rather more weight than she should (she's indoors - hay, veg (green leafy) and small amount of pellets - really, just a few - and the only treats are vegetable ones):roll:

How did you do it...

I have George on a diet at the moment as he is quite overweight. He's a very active rabbit but his main goal in life is to find food, that includes my food, bread that's out for the birds, the hamsters food and the dog food.. he's obsessed. How much SS did you give Lucy each day...:)

I just had to be strict:cry: She loves her food - and would eat all day if she could. I cut out carrots and apple and just gave her greens like Spring Cabbage and herbs which she loves, especilly basil and mint which I grow myself. I cut down her pellets as I was giving her far too many and bulked up the hay.

She also got a mini Shredded Wheat on a night as a treat and I cut that out:cry:, Im a bunny feeder:oops::oops:

I just had to be strict:cry: She loves her food - and would eat all day if she could. I cut out carrots and apple and just gave her greens like Spring Cabbage and herbs which she loves, especilly basil and mint which I grow myself. I cut down her pellets as I was giving her far too many and bulked up the hay.

She also got a mini Shredded Wheat on a night as a treat and I cut that out:cry:, Im a bunny feeder:oops::oops:

I'm a bunny feeder too :oops:

I find it so hard to strict because they give me 'the look' and climb up my legs. :cry:
My vet said I can still give him carrot because calorie wise it isn't that bad, he can't have his daily piece of apple though! I give them a tablespoon of pellets on a morning, and a tablespoon on a night with their veg, spring greens, small pieces of carrot, brocolli and parsley from the garden. I just feel so mean!! They used to get a small handful of pellets as opposed to a spoonful. They literally have a huge dogbed full of hay everyday and he's always eating that... even of I gave him unlimited pellets he would still be obsessed with his hay.

I've cut down all of the rabbits pellets now, as they don't really need them. Teddy still gets his handful because he has dental disease and needs to keep his weight up :cry:

I will tell Sparkle about Lucy's success and may be that will encourage her to continue with her diet also!!!
She is on veg, small amount of ss and hay and I think it's working but not fast enough for me.
Like you I was told she needed to lose weight by my vet. Sparkle was eating all Ty and Bru's food which is why she is now back in the house on her own and on rations It's hard though isn't it when they love their food (a bit like me I think) still they can diet together and compare notes. I think Sparkle looks like your Lucy so may be it's in their breed genes (they are big boned I think :lol:)

Back