• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Petplan dentals not covered :-(

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
My Penny Pocket had her dental in July which should have been a continuation from her last one in March - therefore I would have nothing to pay.

Got a ltter back saying they were not going to pay as they only paid last time as a gesture of goodwill and because she was actually poorly with it.

My renewal has just come through and the small print has changed it. It used to say no teeth trimming now it says no teeth trimming, filing or burring. Or words to that affect.

Now everytime Penny has a dental I have to pay £50 as the excess has also gone up by £5.

Am not a happy bunny.

I sympathise. Both of my buns have teeth problems with their molars and have to have them burred and it costs me £70 for each of them every time!! I think it's bad that the insurance doesn't even contribute considering tooth problems are one of the most common things for rabbits to suffer with....

Did they state at the time that it was just a gesture of goodwill?

Was the second dental before or after the renewal? You might be able to argue they pay for that one but probably won't get any more.

Did they state at the time that it was just a gesture of goodwill?

Was the second dental before or after the renewal? You might be able to argue they pay for that one but probably won't get any more.

Yes they did state it was a gesture of goodwill. The second dental was before my renewal. I renew in August but now i'm starting to question it now. It costs me £30 a month with a £50 excess.

Try putting them in again, Alfie had her teeth paid for by petplan, they did say it was a goodwill gesture but then paid us £50 to use Alfie in an advertising feature. Good luck.

They state you need to get annual dental checks done and any work needed for the rabbit to stay healthy,

but I dont really understand that, so I would need to pay for preventative treatment/care, but what would PETPLAN pay for in regards to dental treatment?

They state you need to get annual dental checks done and any work needed for the rabbit to stay healthy,

but I dont really understand that, so I would need to pay for preventative treatment/care, but what would PETPLAN pay for in regards to dental treatment?

i think they would pay for teeth removal if theres a full history of checks and preventative treamtent..

im waiting for the day they refuse to pay for Stasis because its so common, ill be fooked then :shock:

Well if they didn't exclude things all our insurance premiums would go through the roof :shock:

They don't pay for dentals as they are so common where rabbits are concerned, and if they did then they wouldn't be able to give us insurance for the price we pay.

It is a ****** though, but you can get around it by stating an illness as a cause as opposed to a straightforward dental, and the dental was a preventative measure to try and cure that problem.

I feel you pain though! I pay £60 a month for my insurance, have two dental buns and have to pay £80 every time they need a dental! I'm so tempted to just not renew my insurance premiums and save seeing as how the excess is going up so much, but I know what will happen if I do :roll:

Our late :cry: great German Sheppard Max, was under petplan, we were advised just to put money away. When Max was 7 he ended up in Newmarket Animal Hospital for a double hernia, bowel correction operation. He had this twice, the cost was £4000 a time. Petplan covered it apart from the excess. Max died last year aged 12. :(:cry: He was worth every penny and more. I would do exactly the same for Alfie and any other pet we have by insuring them. Just in case.

Back