• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First vaccination tonight U/D We're home

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Jose is going for his first vaccination tonight and I just know he's going to be a complete pain! He never sits still and doesn't like being held!

Me thinks the trip to the vets is going to be interesting lol

Last edited:
if he's like eric he'll be as good as gold at the vets and just sit nice and still - sure he does that to make me out to be a fibber:roll:
good luck:D

:lol: Last time i took Ronnie, he leaped out of his carrier and flopped on the vets table, legs out at the back and everything, as if he was staying!! :oops: :lol: I was so embarrassed

Be a good boy for mummy Jose!! xXx

I was informed by the nurse when i picked her highness up from her spay that she was a 'very fiesty little madam'. It took two vets to hold her:roll:

well we're home and I was right - he was a pain in the backside! lol. But to be fair, the vet didnt help :censored:

I opened up his box and i asked the vet if he wanted me to get him out (cos Jose was scrambling trying to get out) and he said no. he proceeded to grab Jose round his middle (no supporting of any legs) and get him out the box, Jose then jumped out of his hands on to the table and then flung himself off the table onto the floor and nearly head butted the wall! At this point my hearts racing and im terrified that he's hurt himself. I tried to pick Jose up but the vet got there first and grabbed him again to pick him up. :censored:

The vet tried to check Jose over and he said his front teeth were fine but couldnt check the back ones cos of how Jose was being. The vet had the cheek to say that we needed to handle him more to get used to being held - we try to! But if Jose doesnt want to be held then he doesnt want to be held! The actual injection was fine, my OH held Jose down on the table and the vet injected. Jose flinched slightly but nothing major.

He also said that we need to feed him mainly grass instead of hay - i thought it was mainly hay that they needed?

Oh, and the vet thinks Jose is actually female! (He couldnt feel any "bits" lol)

well we're home and I was right - he was a pain in the backside! lol. But to be fair, the vet didnt help :censored:

I opened up his box and i asked the vet if he wanted me to get him out (cos Jose was scrambling trying to get out) and he said no. he proceeded to grab Jose round his middle (no supporting of any legs) and get him out the box, Jose then jumped out of his hands on to the table and then flung himself off the table onto the floor and nearly head butted the wall! At this point my hearts racing and im terrified that he's hurt himself. I tried to pick Jose up but the vet got there first and grabbed him again to pick him up. :censored:

The vet tried to check Jose over and he said his front teeth were fine but couldnt check the back ones cos of how Jose was being. The vet had the cheek to say that we needed to handle him more to get used to being held - we try to! But if Jose doesnt want to be held then he doesnt want to be held! The actual injection was fine, my OH held Jose down on the table and the vet injected. Jose flinched slightly but nothing major.

He also said that we need to feed him mainly grass instead of hay - i thought it was mainly hay that they needed?

Oh, and the vet thinks Jose is actually female! (He couldnt feel any "bits" lol)

erm, have you used this vet before? did they come highly recommended to you?

That's awful! Sounds a bit insensitive!

How old is Jose?

We noticed our "female" Timmy had bits at about 4 months old!

Hmmm Vet doesnt sound very nice at all :( Is he meant to be rabbit savvy? Poor Jose... tell Jose to bite him next time ;) xXx

The vets was recommended by someone on here as a good rabbit savvy vet, but the person recommended a female vet and this vet was a bloke (bit of a wet lettuce, posh boy, you know the type lol) I stupidly thought that there would only be the one vet there lol. I've got to book Jose back in in 2 weeks for his 2nd injection, so I'll ask for someone different me thinks!

Jose's about 15-17weeks atm, I've tried checking him for "bits" but as he doesnt like being held, its difficult. The vet said he'd know for definate at 6months.

To be fair though, the vet did recommend getting him a friend and he recommended a local rabbit rescue. (The rescue get all their spaying/neutering done by the vet practice)

A previous male vet used to be a little rough with my buns (I remember one occasion with Salt who's a nethie!) and I mentioned this to one of the other vets in the practice and she said it's because he likes to be 'macho'!
I have since changed vets, and she wouldn't dream of getting my buns out of the carriers. She lets me do it and stroke then to calm them down. The vet nurse will often pop in as well, as she has bunnies herself and loves mine!!!
Glad it all went well in the end, but try to book the appointment with another vet at the practice next time.

Back