• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie is not right again. Admitted. Home again :) video post 24

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
All bright and lively first thing then suddenly not happy. He doesn't seem bloated. He ate his spring greens about 45 minutes ago but just doesn't want to know now. He's looking at food but not interested :cry::cry:

He's now facing the wall.

It's only a fortnight since his last episode!

Last edited:
Oh no - poor Artie. Fingers and paws crossed he picks up. Sending loads of vibes. Keep us posted x

Thank you so much for sending vibes - again :love:

I watched over him for a while and he went and laid down in his litter tray which is really not good :cry:

I managed to get an appointment at 11.50 at FHB's surgery with Mr H-B. He could find nothing in particular that pointed to anything (didn't feel bloated, bladder felt okay etc). It was decided to admit him for x-ray and for Frances to have a look at and see if they would work out what's going on.

He actually seemed quite bright when I left him, he'd been banging his feet all impatient/annoyed whilst in the waiting room. (but then this is how he presented the day he needed his bladder surgery!)

I have to ring at 3.30 for news if they don't ring me beforehand.

I'm really hoping once he has a painkiller he will start nibbling as it was only two hours between me knowing he'd eaten and him being admitted. There's a slim chance I can collect him today..... I just want the little guy well again :cry::cry:

He's particulary well between episodes and hasn't lost weight since his last admission ten or so weeks ago. I'm tending to think this may suggest bladder stones or something of that sort? as he's well between spells?

Last edited:
Well he's in the right hands with FHB. My vet is always ringing her for advice. Everything crossed for little Artie. Let us know if you find out anything x

Poor Artie :cry:
At least you can be certain that he is receiving expert Veterinary Care

I hope FHB can establish the cause of his problems

xx

I've just spoken to Artie's 'Auntie Frances', she says that the x-ray showed that there was no obstruction :D It did however show some gas in his stomach. His bladder has some sediment but not enough to be causing distress, so it seems to be the gas in his stomach causing the upset.

He hasn't eaten but that wasn't too alarming in the circumstances of him being stressed about being there and gassy belly/belly ache etc. He will be x-rayed again a little later. I'm assuming he hasn't been syringe fed until they are sure the gas has subsided enough.

But she said, "He's alright", as in, I guess, it can be mended, no major reason for concern. I can ring later to find out how he's going on.

Poor baby. He did leave a spring green leaf part way through but it wasn't a massive one or anything. Everybody else ate more than him and they are all okay :? I have actually decided to try my bunnies without Excel pellets because I didn't have problems like this in the past, before using them. I took Tinks and Rudy off them 2 days ago as I was suspicious as to if they could be causing them problems.

Last edited:
I have found Woodwards Gripe Water to be extremely helpful for 'gassy Bunnies'

Not that I am telling FHB what to do !! :shock:

I am probably gonna get hung, drawn and quartered now but I have taken all my Buns off pellets and put them onto a mix.............................

Most of my Buns get very little concentrated feed anyway but I have come to believe that the Pelleted feed just does not suit many of them.

*Waits for the :censored: to hit the fan.................*

I have found Woodwards Gripe Water to be extremely helpful for 'gassy Bunnies'

Not that I am telling FHB what to do !! :shock:

I am probably gonna get hung, drawn and quartered now but I have taken all my Buns off pellets and put them onto a mix.............................

Most of my Buns get very little concentrated feed anyway but I have come to believe that the Pelleted feed just does not suit many of them.

*Waits for the :censored: to hit the fan.................*

I'm reassured to read this. I know you had concerns about the new Excel as have others. With Tink's lethargy symptoms I was concerned about, as I watched her (not sure if paranoid or not) she seemed to do a very heavy flop and fast breathing, near the dish straight after eating Excel quickly. On Monday night both her and Rudy did the same thing - flopped, breathing fast. It wasn't a massive amount of Excel either but it did worry me. I've not seen them do it since I haven't given them Excel. I've hand-fed SS as treats for a while and will continue to do so. The main reason I give pellets is to test their enthusiasm for food, they are on good hay that they all like so will try that and greens for a while.

Artie has been with me 4 1/2 years and had museli for the first 3 1/2years :oops: He won't be getting the stuff he had before, but the number of emergencies my bunnies have had this year is alarming :(

Last edited:
New x-ray shows that the gas has moved along nicely :D
He's also pooped....

... and he's 'lively' - I think that's vet speak for he's trashed his cage :lol:

Anyhow, it all sounds good, I've to ring again at 10.30 - 11.00 am tomorrow.

He must be feeling a lot better now that nasty gas has gone :D:D:love:

Back