• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering q

becky d

New Kit
hi there,

I have a 5 month old French lop male and I'm going to get him neutered - however, I'm out of cash atm so is it bad to wait another couple of months? The breeder told me that if they are not neutered they don't grow so large - does anyone know if this is the case? Thanks

hi there,

I have a 5 month old French lop male and I'm going to get him neutered - however, I'm out of cash atm so is it bad to wait another couple of months? The breeder told me that if they are not neutered they don't grow so large - does anyone know if this is the case? Thanks

Ah the wise words of the clueless breeder! :roll: Yes that's right... not castrating has an amazing effect on growth hormone!! :roll::lol:
Sorry, not teasing you.....blimmin' breeders! I'm never amazed with the nonsense they come out with! :shock:

No growth and bone development is not remotely connected to castration or spaying. You don't necessarily have to get your male castrated but it is recommended for social reasons in that entire bucks have a habit, when reaching puberty, of becoming very sexually frustrated and mounting whatever animate or inaminate object they can find, they may also spray urine, which can make it uncomfortable for their carers and the homes they live in, particularly house rabbits. Litter training is also easier with a castrated/spayed rabbit.

Finally, neutering your bunny allows him to live with one of his own species....as nature intended, as rabbits are highly social gregarious animals and benefit from company from other rabbits - the preferred choice would be a spayed doe. Please look to rescue rather than go to a breeder next time....there are thousands of lovely unwanted buns looking for homes around the country. You can find many of them on this website.
Congrats on your lovely french lop....I hope he brings you lots of happiness. :D:wave:

Just out of interest....what else did the breeder tell you? re diet? housing? etc...I'm a little concerned you've been grossly misinformed on the care of bunnies. :?

Plus if you get a rescue, quite often they are already spayed or neutered which means you dont have to wait half a day being anxious about whether your bun was ok with is and all the worry afterwards etc...

:)

His growth won't be affected at all hun.

Getting him neutered will mean you can bond him with another bun and will possibly help him to litter train easier if you want to litter train him. For example at the moment I have a young buck who's not neutered yet and he is peeing on a number of my things such as my bed, to mark his territory, hopefully this sort of behaviour will stop when he's been done.

As long as he's not spraying in your home or showing any negative behavioural traits associated with hormones I would not worry about delaying it for a little while. But do ensure you get it done and maybe consider a bunny friend for him, there's lots available for rescue on here!

I fear that you've met yet another 'ill-informed' breeder, but well done for querying it, as some people just assume the breeder MUST know, but unfortunately that's not the case in most instances.

Nice to meet you by the way :wave:

Ah the wise words of the clueless breeder! :roll: Yes that's right... not castrating has an amazing effect on growth hormone!! :roll::lol:
Sorry, not teasing you.....blimmin' breeders! I'm never amazed with the nonsense they come out with! :shock:

Not that I don't think you are right about a useless breeder:lol:, but unspayed does often look fatter cos dewlaps are bigger - due to hormones. And a lot of animals (horses, sometimes dogs) aren't neutered as soon as they can be cos the testosterone "bulks" them up -so you can kind of see where useless breeder was coming from:lol:

Back