• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ads/ free cycle: response needed

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Help!

I often send titbits of advice to people advertising animal of the free pages, especiall those who are mis informed.

Anyway saw this and had to respond

Guinea pig

shes really freindly but my others are bullying her so needs to go with a rabbit or would be fine on her own thanks sarah

My reply sent

Hi, Please don't send your guinea pig to live with a rabbit. They can pass disease between each other, that they would not normally be exposed to, and therefore have no immunity against. Also rabbits and guinea pigs have different diet requirements. Guineapigs need more vitamin c and vegetables, both which in excess would make a rabbit ill.

Also amd more importantly, one kick from a rabbit and a guineapig could be dead or seriously injured.

Please reconsider your ad.

I got this back tonight

what a looad o rubbish my father is a vet please research further before giving advise sarah

Now I don't want to get into a fight, but surely a vet would not advise that a rabbit and guinea pig should be kept together.

Some vets that I have come in to contact with in the past have come out with some complete :censored: and I have argued with them and then taken my custom else where. But no, no 'competent' vet would say that. But for anyone to have produced offspring who can said a blunt and rude message of that nature to someone just offering friendly advice I'd expect nothing more than a lack of education or responsibility.

Grr... people make me so angry. Can you leave comments on ad's on free cycle?

Unfortunately alot of people and pet shops still think it is ok to have them together:?:roll:

I would take it and rehome it myself, to someone who knows more than this person, esp as she is on my doorstep, but I have nothing to house it in :(

Aw at least you tried :( I dont believe a vet would say that but some vets seem to know nothing about rabbits.

I've emailed several people about free ad animals recently, hopefully i won't annoy anyone.

this is only the second response I have had from about 20 giving advice. the other was really nice and said that she would be home checking before re-homing her rabbit.

You could quote the RSPCA website (under guinea pig care):

"What do guinea pigs need?

Companionship - to be with other guinea pigs. The widespread practice of keeping guinea pigs and rabbits together is not recommended. "

I have a link to that but I am trying to look at the leaflets on the rabbit welfare too, then I can suggest he updates his knowledge :D

What i've found with some of the older vets is they are very 'text book'.

It is my impression that they refer their opinions back to their training days and things have changed A LOT since then, this may be the case.

The younger vets tend to be more up to date with new research findings and practice methods.

I may be wrong but this is what i have gathered from my experience

I have something from guinea pig welfare, something from rabbit welfare (thanks Lu), and something from the RSPCA. It is in my Drafts box, until my boyfriend gets her (or not)

Back