• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PAH Novelty Hutches

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
Just a spot of info for you.........

Due to a lot of negative feedback from stores (and I'm sure some from customers), the novelty hutches that had everyone in an uproar are to be returned to the supplier. Stores that have ones built up will be sold off at £99 but they are only to be sold as a 'play hutch' type of thing.

I just want you to be aware that H/O do actually listen and will take into account feelings relating to products etc. If you are unhappy with something please do contact H/O.

Thank you, I am so pleased to hear this - I was going to pm you actually to find out who to escalate to, as I had what I thought was an apalling fob-off reply from customer services which basically implied that they were going to carry on selling them even though they knew they didn't meet the recommended standards.

I'm so pleased to hear that common sense and/or customer pressure has prevailed on these, thanks for letting us know :)

Thats good. Glad they have realised their mistake.

How do you complain to H/O as my local one was giving advice to a man buying the biggest indoor rabbit cage that a GP kept with a rabbit should both be fed GP mix. The assistant was hestant (sp) in saying it but done so all the same. Or do I complain to the store in question?

I was that gob smacked by what I was hearing I just stood there. :oops:

Thats good. Glad they have realised their mistake.

How do you complain to H/O as my local one was giving advice to a man buying the biggest indoor rabbit cage that a GP kept with a rabbit should both be fed GP mix. The assistant was hestant (sp) in saying it but done so all the same. Or do I complain to the store in question?

I was that gob smacked by what I was hearing I just stood there. :oops:

You would be better placed speaking to the store manager in this case, however although not ideal, if someone does insist on keeping a bun and pig together then pig food is better fed to them both if the owner isn't prepared to feed them separately.

I myself have been put in this situation and explained why they need different diets, but some people just want the one food to feed.

I can well sympathise with the assistant why she said what she did as this man was bulit like a poo brick house. I just wish she had advised against keeping GP and rabbits together.

Thanks for your help. :wave:

I can well sympathise with the assistant why she said what she did as this man was bulit like a poo brick house. I just wish she had advised against keeping GP and rabbits together.

Thanks for your help. :wave:

No worries :) We get loads of people who completely poo-poo us when we explain why they shouldn't be kept together. We don't sell them together but many people still keep them like that unfortunately.

No worries :) We get loads of people who completely poo-poo us when we explain why they shouldn't be kept together. We don't sell them together but many people still keep them like that unfortunately.

No disrespect to you but if the staff in my local store told me that the world was round, I'd have trouble believing them. I'm not surprised people don't listen that rabbits and GPs shouldn't be kept together when they are kept together in the store (in my local one anyway)
*deletes the rest of what I've written because its not fair to rant at you about it*

I'm glad that the hutches have been sent back to the supplier though :D

Last edited:
No disrespect to you but if the staff in my local store told me that the world was round, I'd have trouble believing them. I'm not surprised people don't listen that rabbits and GPs shouldn't be kept together when they are kept together in the store (in my local one anyway)
*deletes the rest of what I've written because its not fair to rant at you about it*

Are you saying that rabbits and pigs are still kept together in the Nuneaton store?
If this really is the case then you need to contact the H/O. No store should keep them together any more and shouldn't have for a long time.

Rant away...I'm used to it. I am very knowlegable about many animals and if people don't want to listen to my advice, then that's their loss. It gives me great pleasure to know I've helped someone :)

That's brilliant news :D

Our P@H have just finished a refit, and the bunnies have got 4 nice big pens, which are big enough for them to binky around (I've seen them do it :love:) two adoption bits, with four bunny pens and space for 16 gerbils/hammies/rats, and four big raised pens for guinea pigs. Plenty of toys, hay, pellets and water. Very impressive :)

Are you saying that rabbits and pigs are still kept together in the Nuneaton store?
If this really is the case then you need to contact the H/O. No store should keep them together any more and shouldn't have for a long time.

Rant away...I'm used to it. I am very knowlegable about many animals and if people don't want to listen to my advice, then that's their loss. It gives me great pleasure to know I've helped someone :)

Yes they are kept together and no, I'm not going to rant at you because you're nice and its not your fault that the Nuneaton store are rubbish :oops:

Perhaps I'll write a big ranty letter to H/O?

I must say pets at home have come very far. I haven't bought an animal from them in a long time, (about a year ago i got a dwarf hammy from the adoption centre), but i remember when i was younger they advised me to get a rabbit and a guinea pig to go in my 4ft cage!

Yes they are kept together and no, I'm not going to rant at you because you're nice and its not your fault that the Nuneaton store are rubbish :oops:

Perhaps I'll write a big ranty letter to H/O?

Write a letter, but don't rant. A factual complaint will get you much further :)

Write a letter, but don't rant. A factual complaint will get you much further :)

Okay, I'll try very very hard to not rant :oops:

*not ranting here, more a tone of despair*
Its just things like they had an information video being played at the end of one of the aisles that said rabbits only 4ft hutches and when I mentioned the recommended 6x2x2 to someone it was a case of 'well its not the law so who cares', and when I bought Olly from there they gave me some pretty rubbish advice that the vet said the exact opposite to, so the next time I went in, I mentioned it and the sales assistant scoffed and rolled her eyes like she knews more than a vet. Then there's the adoption section, at the moment there are two brother bunnies who have been brought in because they were fighting - they're not neutered, which from what I can gather would probably have prevented them from fighting?

They just seem really uneducated/have a generally **** attitude. Again not ranting :wave:

I overheard one assistant telling people not to keep GP's with rabbits. I think most P@H stores are good these days.

Then there's the adoption section, at the moment there are two brother bunnies who have been brought in because they were fighting - they're not neutered, which from what I can gather would probably have prevented them from fighting?

That's not necessarily the stores fault though. I mean admittedly the owners might have got the buns from the store and should have been advised to get the buns neutered, or should have advised that neutering would stop them fighting when they brought them in, but they can't make people neuter their animals.

I understand your frustration tho, I went in a few months back and there was a girl bun just being brought in by one of the P@H staff and she said she'd got two girly buns from the store and now they were fighting, and when I asked if they were neutered she said no :roll: I didn't like to say 'well that would stop them fighting' cos surely as a P@H employee she should know that but....:shock:

Are the staff seriously this uninformed at PAH?

I have just been turned down for a job there due to being 'overqualified'.

I have a degree in animal biology so would have thought that to be valuable in informing customers on the CORRECT care of their animals. But no they'd evidently rather employ morons!

Thanyou Laura though for your tips and advice, they did come in handy I am just irritated that i have been turned down for having 'too much' knowledge on their products!!!!!

Bizarre!!

Are the staff seriously this uninformed at PAH?

I have a degree in animal biology so would have thought that to be valuable in informing customers on the CORRECT care of their animals. But no they'd evidently rather employ morons!

Thanyou Laura though for your tips and advice, they did come in handy I am just irritated that i have been turned down for having 'too much' knowledge on their products!!!!!

Bizarre!!

Thats strange beacuse I have a staff member who has a degree in animal biology and zoology??

Any way regarding the crappy "hutches" that should be burnt I jumped up and down when I read the email telling us to send them back!!!

I have a feeling that this is illegal...I would consider writing to Head Office and ask to see a copy of their recruitment policies and ask for feedback in writing as to why you didn't get the job.

Incidentally, I have had a response from customer services who told me that these hutches were introduced following requests for hutches aimed especially for children, and that they feel that these hutches are a suitable size for small rabbits even though they don't meet the recommended criteria.

I have written back to them saying that surely it's pretty obvious that introducing hutches aimed especially at children is irresponsible, and have asked who has made this decision that the hutch size is ok for smaller rabbits.

I know it's a bit of a moot point now they're being withdrawn but their reply really riled me, I thought it just sounded so arrogant and as if some random person in the buying department just decided to disregard any sense of welfare and common sense.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this is illegal...I would consider writing to Head Office and ask to see a copy of their recruitment policies and ask for feedback in writing as to why you didn't get the job.

I did send an email asking their reasoning and the response i got was very clever not to use the actual word 'overqualified'. They said that i did well in both assessment centre and work trial but decided to give the post to someone they believed had more of a future at the company.

My dad said that basically meant they didn't employ me on the assumption i wouldn't be there long and as soon as i got a better job i'd be off ergo, overqualified!

To be honest, i don't mind the hutches as play areas, i would buy one for the shed if they were cheaper. However they are right in discontinuing them as they shouldn't be sold as actual hutches.

Back