• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How far?

Danielle84

Mama Doe
:wave: Not sure if this is in the right place, but...

How far can bunnies travel without too much stress?

We have been talking about rescuing a bun to be a wifey for Timmy, but was wondering if we saw a bunny in a rescue that was quite far, would it be too stressful for them to travel a distance? Or to take Timmy that far for bonding?

I think it really depends on the bunny.:)
Oggie gets very stressed, and starts to breath heavily and everything. Nothing will calm him down.

Pearl gets super stressed on a 5 min journey to the vets..

get her on the motorway and she copes amazingly well on a 7 hour journey to Scotland from Birmingham :D

shes not happy in the car, but soon as we get to the other end within half hour shes back to eating/drinking/pooping as if the journey never happened...

i was so stressed about her travelling but it went perfect :D

Alvin is a great traveller, nothing phases him at all :D

Yes, it does depend on the rabbit! I think most can travel reasonably well without getting stressed to the point of making themselves ill. I have three here that are not good in the car however, and are literally soaking by the time we get to the vets as their nose has ran so much. Rabbits can't vomit, but they tend to excrete some sort of gastric liquid when very stressed in the car.

I had one rabbit who travelled 5 hours on the train with me and she loved it! Used to sit on the seat next to me and chill out. :lol:

You are fairly central so if you are lucky you wont have to travel too far have you looked at your local rspca? also you aren't far from www.fatfluffs.com who are really helpful. I travelled there and back (abou twoish hours) and my buns were fine they just chilled out in the carrier. Lucy on here has recently posted a few buns looking for homes she isnt far from you (I think!)

Last edited:
I had one rabbit who travelled 5 hours on the train with me and she loved it! Used to sit on the seat next to me and chill out. :lol:

:lol: aww bless, i had a really funny image in my head then :lol:

Thanks guys...so if i did see a bun i wanted to rescue, it would really be up to the rescue to decide whether that bun would cope?

Timmy has only been to the vets and back in the car which is literally down the road, so it's hard to tell at the mo really!

You are fairly central so if you are lucky you wont have to travel too far have you looked at your local rspca? also you aren't far from www.fatfluffs.com who are really helpful. I travelled there and back (abou twoish hours) and my buns were fine they just chilled out in the carrier

Thanks for that :D

I have seen fatfluffs i think it's in Walsall? Not too far really.

Also.. what carrier is best? We have a card one with holes in atm, i thought it may be more stressful for Timmy to see he's somewhere different (as he's a house bun), or is it better that they can see as they may be scared of what's going on outside the box?

Thanks for that :D

I have seen fatfluffs i think it's in Walsall? Not too far really.

Also.. what carrier is best? We have a card one with holes in atm, i thought it may be more stressful for Timmy to see he's somewhere different (as he's a house bun), or is it better that they can see as they may be scared of what's going on outside the box?

HQ is solihull but some of the buns are in foster care in and around b'ham. I would go for a plastic carrier if possible just in case he tried to eat his way out of a cardboard one

Granite came to me from Honeybunny's in Leicester and the other three did Manchester to Hartlepool at christmas with no major problems.

One Bunny I did want could not come to me as he couldn't travel and got totally stressed out over it :(

Hopper Haven in Redditch is full of lovely bunnies, and Lou does the bonding for you too :love::love::love:

see you wont have to go far at all with all these fabulous rescues so close :D:D

Thanks guys, i didn't know there were so many rescues near me (serves me right for using certain search engines on the internet :roll:)

I will have a look!

Oh..good point about the card carrier, it's ok for the vets (i wouldn't like to think Timmy could chew his way through in 5 minutes...although he might do :lol:) so will look into a plastic for longer journeys!

I didn't get charged for the rabbit :lol: The ticket inspectors always stopped to pay her some attention though!!

I used to take her on the train every other week, and as soon as I got the carrier out for her to go in she would run straight in :)

She used to actually do happy flops on the train and go to sleep, so I guess she thought it was ok! I did used to get quite a few looks though.....:oops:

Im *hopefully* getting my new buns from a bit away. Barnsley & Bolton....so a few hours drive, hope they both are ok coming here!

I was wondering the same thing-to cut a long story short someone I know is moving home and cant take their bunny.I'm hoping to bond him with my 2 but it would mean a journey from Aberdeen to the Midlands.I'm concerned about the car journey but I'll be able to stop as and when, is this too far?

I was wondering the same thing-to cut a long story short someone I know is moving home and cant take their bunny.I'm hoping to bond him with my 2 but it would mean a journey from Aberdeen to the Midlands.I'm concerned about the car journey but I'll be able to stop as and when, is this too far?

i know someone on another forum who took her rabbits from England to somewhere in Europe (really forgot where :oops:) and they was fine :D

i know someone on another forum who took her rabbits from England to somewhere in Europe (really forgot where :oops:) and they was fine :D

thats a relief then, so hopefully I'll be posting bonding pics on here soon:D.[or else posting in the bonding section in tears and vowing never again!!!]

Back