• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass

Bugsy Boy

New Kit
Bugsy has teeth problems and an aversion to hay! Having been to the vet today to have the spurs on his teeth filed down and been advised to restrict him to a 99% hay diet he now has a selection of hay to choose from and in typical style is ignoring it.... He has discovered a love of freshly cut grass though and I wondered if this was as benefitial to his teeth (and health) as hay?

Thank goodness for that! I'm gonna have to leave an area of grass in the garden unmowed.....and probably speak nicely to my neighbours!! He's in bunny heaven. Thanks for your reply :wave:

Hi, rabbits should not eat freshly cut grass from a lawn mower. I think it ferments or something like that and can cause problems.

I have a bunny like yours who refuses hay but will eat grass and yes grass if eated fresh is good.

I have just replaced some turf to improve the grass and intend to lay a bit more now it has time to settle (have fenced it off for now). You can also get some "grow your own" from The Hay Experts which grows long really quick in a pot and you can re-grow it.

Don't suddenly give him huge amounts of grass or it will upset his tummy. Gradually increase the amount he is allowed :)

What hays have you tried?

Readigrass seems to be a favourite of buns who don't eat hay. Its dried grass, cut into inch pieces, It only comes in bales though, but you may want to consider trying him on some of that, as come winter the grass stops growing and he will be back to the same problems.

Sophie loves green oat hay, and all mine like burns organic mountain hay. But my main hay supply comes from a horse supplies shop, who bring me bales of farm fresh hay :)

Some people have sprayed things like pure apple juice onto the hay, or mixed grated carrot/ apple into the hay to try and encourage more hay eating

Thanks all for your replies. I intend to bring a bag and scissors with me tomorrow when I drive into work so I can stop off on the country roads and get a bag of grass!! He's currently trying Western Timothy (which he's not impressed with at all) and Meadow hay so I'll see how he gets on with those for the next day or so and if it's still a no go I'll order the sample pack from the Hay Experts and see if he's partial to any of those...... :rolleyes:

I have a bun like yours!:roll: I have grown some grass in trays which she picks at. Also, this may seem obvious but have you tried put hay in different places. Amber doesn't bother with the hay in her rack but will much and poo at the same time:? so i put some hay by her toilet area and she munches bits from there.

I intend to bring a bag and scissors with me tomorrow when I drive into work so I can stop off on the country roads and get a bag of grass!!

To be honest I'd stick with grass from your own garden/neighbours gardens, grass from the roadside/general fields may well be contaminated with urine/faeces from wild rabbits which could contain infectious material that could make your bunnies ill. The same could be true of other wild animals/dogs/cats/car exhausts etc - better to stick with grass where you know largely what comes and goes over it.

I have a similar bun who won't eat hay and I do cut some of the lawn with scissors for her as it's the only way I can get any long fibre down her :roll:

Good luck!

To be honest I'd stick with grass from your own garden/neighbours gardens, grass from the roadside/general fields may well be contaminated with urine/faeces from wild rabbits which could contain infectious material that could make your bunnies ill. The same could be true of other wild animals/dogs/cats/car exhausts etc - better to stick with grass where you know largely what comes and goes over it.

Is there any risk from foxes? I've been picking grass for my rabbits from the garden/side of the house? But we get lots of foxes and cats coming and going. Is this risky?

Obviously vaccination is important. You might also want to consider worming. Other than that it should be fine.

I agree though, avoid roadside verges. They tend to get contaminated from the car fumes.

If you do run short then you could try asking on freecycle. Someone might appreciate having their lawn 'clipped' in exchange for you keeping the grass.

You could also try drying your own grass. The top of a rabbit run is good for this as it lets the air circulate - it's been a bit wet recently though. It might help the transition from liking grass to hay. It will be harder to get enough grass in winter as it grows much slower.

Feeding your grass with something organic may help it grow quicker too :)

Back