• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do buns teeth stop growing when they get old?

BevBunny

Mama Doe
Charlie is 10 and has quite a few health issues - calcium intolerant since he was 3, he had E.C 2 years ago which has left him slightly tilted, he has an abcess in his jaw bones and is generally getting old.

We do our best with his food but nowadays its a case of getting him to eat anything is a success (we've actually got him to put on some weight!) so daily he has a few science selective pellets sprayed with water, a few beaphar high calorie pellets sprayed with water, oats, hazelnuts, peas, coriander, grapes, strawberries, green beans and tender stem brocolli. ie its high in sugar and all a bit soft. I've not seen him eat hay for many months.

He goes to the vet every few weeks and always has his teeth checked and they're fine. I can't understand how they're fine when he's not eating anything to grind them down?! Do their teeth stop growing when they get old?

Also, his front ones are looking dirty, they've got brown stuff on them which you can scrape off. I'm wondering about cleaning them. I assume this is plaque cos of the sugar in the fruit and probably something to do with medicine he has to have (paediatric septrin twice a day and meloxydryl once). I'm sure they wouldn't have chance to get this brown if they were growing as quickly as they should be. Any ideas?

10 yrs old Wow! :thumb:

I'm definitely no expert on elderly buns so I hope one of the more experienced elderly bunny keepers will be along shortly to help.....but as far as i'm aware in lagomorphs ALL teeth grow continuously throughout life. I wonder however if when metabolism slows due to age that bone and tooth formation, doesn't stop, but also slows correspondingly? and therefore tooth root eruption is to a point reduced? Grinding fibrous green stuff will have some dental wear benefit - anything that produces a side-to-side chewing motion - obviously hay/grass is more effective but I can understand that just getting him to eat is a struggle and i'm glad he is still eating :D
Not sure about the tooth staining - i'm sure someone else will have some ideas...perhaps it is also related to tooth root eruption rate and therefore the teeth you see are just older??
I hope my bunnies live this long .....:D:wave:

Back