• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neuter help needed!

Smiley

Young Bun
I had two boys neutered yesterday. They're both doing fine now, except obviously they're a bit quiet. They are eating the odd bit of hay, and they have been drinking, pooing/weeing. The only thing is they haven't touched their pellets. :( Is this ok? Anyone got any advice for how long they won't fully eat for?
Should I get them some veg or something to get them back to eating properly? I'm really worried. :cry:

I would get them some greens and ensure they have plenty of hay in there, as long as they are weeing and pooing it sounds like they are fine.

I would get them some greens and ensure they have plenty of hay in there, as long as they are weeing and pooing it sounds like they are fine.

OK, thankyou! I take it they will just go back to pellets when they're ready then? I know I'm being a worry wart but I can't help it :oops: lol.

I gave mine bits of apple that I was eating and he munched loads! Then he dranks gallons and started to eat the pellets but would only eat them from my hand to start with. Just be there for them and they'll eat when they want it. They probably still feel drowsy from the anaesthetic.

Its normal for them to go of their pellets for a day or so. As long as they are eating something it's fine so just tempt them with whatever they like most.

Thanks for the advice. I've given them some carrot and some baby leaf salad and they're both eating it so I'm relieved. Thanks everyone. :)

Thanks for the advice. I've given them some carrot and some baby leaf salad and they're both eating it so I'm relieved. Thanks everyone. :)

Just keep them eating whatever you can find to tempt them (within reason) - strongly scented herbs are often good for this such as basil, mint, rosemary, thyme etc. It's important to keep them eating to maintain gut motility at all times. Hoping they're back to normal very soon. :)

Both my rabbits refused pellets after being fixed. I did really well with just hay and romaine lettuce. Rouge really liked a little bit of pumpkin too. It was if they instinctly wanted tons of fiber foods.

I wouldn't worry as long as they're eating something.

Thanks for the replies everyone. They still aren't eating their pellets, but they're eating a ton of hay and they've ate all the veg that I put in yesterday. Am just about to give them some more. They seem a lot happier now too, so I'm not worried anymore. :) Thankyou everyone, you were a great help at putting my mind at ease!

Hey, I'm back with another question. :( Miley's wounds are healing really well and I'm really happy with how he's going. Rocky's not so good though. On one side his whole 'sack' (for want of a better word :oops: ) is all black. Is this normal? It's really really bruised I think but not sure. He seems ok in himself, I'm just a bit worried. Do you think it needs looking at?

Smudge's went exactly the same - I was advided to put vaseline on it which I did. He went back today for his post op check (1 week later) and he has been nibbling at the wound - the "crust" was off but you could see it was "rawer" than the other side. The vet gave me some Baytril antibiotics to syringe him with for 5 days then I've to go back. I KNOW I'm not going to be able to get it in him - but will have to try. They tried to get a collar on him today but couldn't.

Do you think I should take him back? We weren't given a post op appointment and were told to only go back if there was a problem.

Back