• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jess.- u/d its E.coli!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I have been flushing out Jess's abscess twice a day since her op on Thursday. It is very big, I assume that a lot of it is swelling as opposed to pus- is this right. I am worried we will lose her, but she is fighting on, eating a little and passing small poops. I seemed to get a lot of pus from it this morning, I've been massaging the lump on the assumption it will loosen the stuff inside, is this likely or is she just producing it quicker. I tried her with some porridge this morning and she took some, I'm hoping this will keep her weight up as she is getting thinner, day by day. Saying that she looks amazingly bright and active.

Last edited:
Have you tried packing the abscess with Manuka Honey?
Kermit had quite a big abscess and i cleaned it then used Manuka Honey, it healed up great.

I had thought about that, but I was wondering how it stayed in and how messy would Jess get, she's a lionhead.

It is a bit sticky, and hard to get in, i put it in with a cotton bud. It just seems to stay in once you get it there.
Kermits fur did get sticky round it, but it really worked wonders.

Cool, I'll try that as well, thanks.
We are desperately waiting for the results to come back, as to which antibiotic to use, I will feel a lot happier when I know.

I use a syringe to put the honey in, it sucks up quite easily :) I have never found it makes a mess, if it does ooze out the buns just lick it off

Well Jess's results are back and it is E.coli???
It should be sesnitive to everything, so we will keep on with the betamox, and along with the flushing it will 'hopefully' help. The pus was was E.coli but nothing on the tissue.
Will let you know how things go.

Am I right in thinking betamox is Amoxicillin? If so, you really need to assess whether she'd be better off with a different antibiotic because Amoxicillin can kill off all the good bacteria in the rabbit's stomach and lead to death. It is certainly safer in the injectable form than the oral form, but still would never be prescribed by a rabbit savvy vet.

Betamox is a long acting penicillin based AB, injection only. Seems to have worked OK on her so far, with her last 2 abscesses she was on it for 7 weeks and 3 weeks respectively. She is injected every 3rd day and given fibreplex.:)

Betamox is a long acting penicillin based AB, injection only. Seems to have worked OK on her so far, with her last 2 abscesses she was on it for 7 weeks and 3 weeks respectively. She is injected every 3rd day and given fibreplex.:)

There are plenty of alternative long acting pencillins which are much safer to use in rabbits. Obviously it's up to you, but I wouldn't use it and my vet wouldn't prescribe it for rabbits

Back